General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By KRYSTED9354
#48877 hi what does the stage number mean like i seen clutches that say stage 1 stage 2 and so on ?? what does that mean ? thanks :thumb:
By teal_dx
#48884 higher stage = handles more power.

stage 1 = not much more than an oem clutch

each manufacturer will have different power ratings for their stages though
By KRYSTED9354
teal_dx wrote:higher stage = handles more power.

stage 1 = not much more than an oem clutch

each manufacturer will have different power ratings for their stages though
whats better xtd or exedy ?
By teal_dx
#48895 which model of each are you looking at? How much WHP do you need to handle?

ACT is one of the best brands if you have a little more to spend. I bought an XTD stage 3, ok so far but my car isn't boosted yet.
By KRYSTED9354
#48899 i need it to AT LEAST ahndle 158 as im now but i guess a bit more wouldnt hirt ? i was just naming some clutches i saw on ebay !
By KRYSTED9354
teal_dx wrote:which model of each are you looking at? How much WHP do you need to handle?

ACT is one of the best brands if you have a little more to spend. I bought an XTD stage 3, ok so far but my car isn't boosted yet.

also if i get like a 7 or 8 pound flywheel will it help ? and in what way thankyou
By LowTEC-Derbo
#48906 an 8lb flywheel suffers for daily driving. There is less inertia on the flywheel making take off from a stop harder. You need to rev higher to move from a stop versus a stock flywheel. Also your revs will fly up faster BUT it will also rev down faster.

8lb..maybe a tad light for many daily drivers.. I opts for a 12lb. Stock is 20ishlbs. from what I can remembber when I measured it.

as for stage clutches.. stock is stage 0. Look at the torque capacities of the pressure plates as that is what really tells you what a clutch can handle. The higher the stage, the more it is towards racing and loses alot of compromises for a daily driver.

As the 6puck clutches will have more grab but it will suffer some lifespan for it. It will also reduce smoothness on engagement to get a better grab. Stuff like this is looked into before you decide what kind of clutch you want.

There are different kinds of clutches for circuit racing and drag racing where grip is needed at different times.. Drag racing ie.. at the launch and during shifts, where circuit racings it is not as important how well it grabs during shifts but more during engagement.
By KRYSTED9354
#48911 i c ok so rev higher meaning what if u just rev it and start it wont go or slip or ?? because i was looking at the bay sets for like 250$ shipped for the set and they all weight at like 7-9
By teal_dx
#48921 I have 8 lb flywheel and a 6 puck XTD stage 3 clutch. It is a bitch to engage it smoothly, rarely happens. If I did it again I would not do an 8lb flywheel, 12lbs is a good # for a street driven car, you get the best of both worlds.
By sqsi
#49521 I just bought the XTD stage 2 with 7.5 LB Flywheel. We will see what happens when I get it in. From what I hear it will be pretty quick off the line compared to stock.
By KRYSTED9354
sqsi wrote:I just bought the XTD stage 2 with 7.5 LB Flywheel. We will see what happens when I get it in. From what I hear it will be pretty quick off the line compared to stock.

great let me know ! :thumb:
By OmarG
#49547 My friend's dad owns a shop out in town. he charges 800 bucks to install a clutch (not including the flywheel)

Is this a reasonable price?
By teal_dx
OmarG wrote:My friend's dad owns a shop out in town. he charges 800 bucks to install a clutch (not including the flywheel)

Is this a reasonable price?

I do not think so... If I could install clutches full time for $800 each, I would be able to retire soon!
By suspendedHatch
#49579 Get the Exedy OEM replacement clutch and 11lb flywheel. I love mine.

There's a big difference between "158" hp and whp. Which are you speaking of?

Just be aware that if you go with a lighter flywheel, it will make a scraping noise. It's called flywheel chatter.
By KRYSTED9354
suspendedHatch wrote:Get the Exedy OEM replacement clutch and 11lb flywheel. I love mine.

There's a big difference between "158" hp and whp. Which are you speaking of?

Just be aware that if you go with a lighter flywheel, it will make a scraping noise. It's called flywheel chatter.
ok what about ill just post the chicago dyno papers and video and u can decise and so no one says im b-sing ok ? ill get them up soon !