General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By stefan
#44777 I like to plan ahead, so I have plenty of time to explore possibilities, and what I came across is this;
a used EK9/DC2 lsd for 430 dollars;
or a new OBX lsd for 360 dollar.

I know there is a bit of work to an OBX lsd, wich is no problem, but for 70 more dollars I can have a used Type R lsd...
What would be your pick, and why?
By asianrob
#44792 id get the OBX one they say its worth it and wont break as easy as the OEM's for some reason if i wasnt too lazy i would find the thread about it on Honda-tech

oh and one more than one the NON-LSD trannys have a different casing than those of the LSD casing because the shape of the LSD, and Yes you can put those in the NON-LSD casing just have to modify casing a little
By stefan
#44850 OK, thanks :thumb:
By asianrob
DC4rob wrote:id get the OBX one they say its worth it and wont break as easy as the OEM's for some reason if i wasnt too lazy i would find the thread about it on Honda-tech

oh and one more than one the NON-LSD trannys have a different casing than those of the LSD casing because the shape of the LSD, and Yes you can put those in the NON-LSD casing just have to modify casing a little

That second part i mentions is for the OEM LSD i for got to mention that
By asianrob
#44887 What Engine setup is in your car?... I'm only suggesting the OBX over the OEM if you go like Boost or something lol because they are supposedly a little stronger for it But for like Daily and track with NA setup the OEM type R LSD should be good enough tho
By stefan
#44892 When I'm throwing in a LSD it'll be boosted, targetting 275hp @ crank.
By k0rean4life
#46167 OBX lsd's work great, they are quaife replica's. They use to be really crappy for B-series but they fixed the desigen. IF you do go ahead and get one you need to do a few things. You need to open up the diff and make sure all the spring washers are facing like this )()()()(. Sometimes they face like half in and than half out ))))(((( and you are missing one see the problem with that, also make sure there isnt any cross threading on the case also. Most of the people i know re-tap all there holes to insure assembly is right. As long as you re-assembly them the way they are suppose to they work great for small Horsepower applications like urs. I wouldn't use them over 350HP tho.
By asianrob
k0rean4life wrote:OBX lsd's work great, they are quaife replica's. They use to be really crappy for B-series but they fixed the desigen. IF you do go ahead and get one you need to do a few things. You need to open up the diff and make sure all the spring washers are facing like this )()()()(. Sometimes they face like half in and than half out ))))(((( and you are missing one see the problem with that, also make sure there isnt any cross threading on the case also. Most of the people i know re-tap all there holes to insure assembly is right. As long as you re-assembly them the way they are suppose to they work great for small Horsepower applications like urs. I wouldn't use them over 350HP tho.

great info! i was trying to find that thread on HT about the OBX LSD but i couldn't
By stefan
#46205 I stored a link to a H-T topic where all that is explained step by step, including pictures... plus a bunch of links to other topics/sites that help when modding an OBX diff.
By k0rean4life
#46220 Yeah not sure about the honda-tech thread. Thats just from personal experience and friends. GL tho :woot:
By k0rean4life
#46221 My friends buddy is running a OBX diff in a EF B20V making 270WHP and says its ten times better than his OLD ITR DIFF. The use for this car is DRAG ONLY and said his BRAND NEW ITR diff started slipping after 10 passes... OBX 20 passes and no problems yet :woot: