General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By rusty_eg3
#361262 Hey everyone! I've been wanting to post about this issue like 3 months ago when I bought the new hatch. So anyway, this "new" hatch is an European model Civic EG4 d15b2 with S20 transmission and it has a clunk in the clutch or the tranny and It's really annoying.
There are many ways in which this sound can be reproduced: while driving in 4th, releasing the throttle and then pressing it again makes the clunk, or driving in second and releasing the throttle and then "punching" it will make the car jiggle back and forth and while the car does that, the sound is like clunk clunk, in sync with the car. The sound also occurs just when the car starts to move when putting it into reverse. The clutch seems fine, and it does not pop out of gear and it shifts fairly smooth for a 22 year old car. So, what could it be? Inner CV joints (outer ones seem ok, no clicking on turns)? Something wrong with the tranny or the clutch? Maybe it just needs oil? This is my second Civic EG and I've never heard this sound in any car that I've driven, new or old. Thanks in advance!
By EconoBox
#361263 Have you checked your motor mounts? Remember EGs have 5 mounts. Side engine, Rear engine, Transmission, A/C compressor torque mount, transmission torque mount. If any are bad you may hear clunking when the engine moves. My next thing to check would be axles.
By rusty_eg3
#361264 Upper motor mounts seem fine, however the lower ones will be replaced next week if the temperatures will rise just a bit. They look finished :)))). Both axles have the outer CV joints replaced, so i'm guessing the inner joints are bad. But I'm leaning towards the axles too, I don't know how bad motor mounts sound but this sound can be "felt" in the shift stick too, forgot to mention that.
By Driv-it-hard
EconoBox wrote:Have you checked your motor mounts? Remember EGs have 5 mounts. Side engine, Rear engine, Transmission, A/C compressor torque mount, transmission torque mount. If any are bad you may hear clunking when the engine moves. My next thing to check would be axles.

Also, if you have a chance, while you have it in the air. Check the lower ball joints. This can also make a clunk while moving forward from a stop.
By rusty_eg3
#361270 Thank you all for your answers. I opened the hood and grabbed the inner cv joint on the passenger side and it's got a really big play in it so I guess that's that. Judging by how loud that noise is, I thought that the gearbox is going bad.