General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 94civicmtn
#358302 Ok so I got a ej1 that's auto that I'm going to do a 5 speed conversion on. Yesterday I bought a vx runs and drives and drove it home for 500$. It ran and drove pretty good just the body is beyond rusted and I mean bad. Like the seat is welded in so you don't fall through. I know It be better if I had an ex/si but this will get me going. My ? Is, do I get a clutch kit for a d15 or d16 since the tranny is coming from the d15z1 and going to my z6. I also need to get a p28 of course. Does anyone have some quick last minute suggestions or anything that might help me be4 i tear into it? This is my 1st project like this. I've read and read.... and read so I feel pretty confident but hey any more advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
By TrailerTrash
#358307 I would say buy and haynes and chiltons manual for the car and be ready to do some googleing if they dont help

I run engine oil in my manuals. some will disagree with that but there are other options like Honda brand manual transmission fluid.

you will need to make sure the p28 you get is for a manual

if you can afford it i highly recommend you get a new slave cylinder and flywheel along with a clutch kit. make sure it comes with the throw out bearing and pilot bearing and the clutch alignment tool. the clutch kits are the same so you wont get the wrong one as long as it is for a 92-95 civic.

also a very good time to get some Energy Suspension shift linkage bushings. if the body is that bad then i can only imagine what those bushings look like

you are going to need an auto-to-manual transmission mount if you dont already have one.

torque everything properly

and this stuff is your friend
By 94civicmtn
#358309 Yeah I new about the p28 for a manual and I gotta order the auto to manual mount soon. I just didn't know about the clutch kit so thanks for the info! Also I read that the vx flywheel is around 15 lbs vs the ex which is like 18lbs. Not much difference but I was just gonna have the vx one resurfaced. Ima pull the vx motor and trans tonight if my day goes as planned.
By TrailerTrash
#358311 no problemo dude

i would suggest getting the flywheel resurfaced but i had no idea if there is a machine shop in your area that can do it. plus sometimes it can be cheaper just to buy a new one.

let us know if you run into any trouble!
By 94civicmtn
#358312 Will do! Working on tearing the parts car apart right now. Almost done with it actually. Another question I have now is a good friend of mine has a p28 he'd sell me if not give to me, but it's chipped for turbo. It was on a turbo z6 he had a while back... I don't ever plan on going boost but will it work for mine or not? All I got is I/H/E. :?
By TrailerTrash
#358314 is it a reburnable chip?
By suspendedHatch
#358325 You really don't want to use the VX trans on a Z6 or anything other than a Z1. The gearing is extremely long and the Z6 will have trouble keeping it from bogging and stalling out. Besides that, it will accelerate really slowly.
What you want to do is sell the D15Z1 and trans on a fuel economy forum and get an EX/Si trans. You can use all the mounts, shift linkage etc as they are the same.
Scavenge the rear diffuser off the VX chassis before you trash it. Also, the front bumper lip. I'd be interested in the cluster if it has an upshift light. The ECU will also bring you some decent cash on an ecomodder forum.
By TrailerTrash
#358344 you are 100% correct on that VX transmission statement. i missed that is his original post.

when i got my civic it had a JDM D15B with a VX transmission. it freakin suuuuucked. 3rd gear was like a 5th gear. you will hate it. a DX or EX/Si transmission is what you want. hands down
By 94civicmtn
#358719 Just wanted to jump on here and tell you guys Thanks for the help! Took me a bit to finally tear into my car do to it being my daily and work but I took off this past Friday and finishe'd my first 5 speed conversion on my car today. Really wasn't all that bad just time consuming. I mean I didn't stay at it all 3 days but I did a good amount each day like Friday was my tear down, Saturday I put it back together. And today I done the wiring, bled the clutch, drilled the holes and bolted the shift linkage in and took her for a spin! I love finally having it done! Been wanting this for a while and couldn't have done it without the help from you guys and some threads I read from dseries.org. (there's a good write up there) also one more thing, yall were right about the vx trans, it sucks hahaha! But hey I got it done and can get a better tranny later. Again, thank yall!
By teal_dx
#358724 What was the worst part? For me it's always swapping out the auto pedals for the manual ones... Something about working up under the dash makes me angry every time :x but then later I'm like :lol: :D
By 94civicmtn
#358726 Well that was pretty aggravating but I was trying for like an hour to get the manual trans in by myself using a floor jack and muscles I don't use daily and was getting worked up so I Txted a buddy and he came to help put it in and everything else lol it was am awesome learning experience but I have to say idk if I'd do it again for my own pleasure. I'd help a friend of course if they were to do it but I spent that money to convert to manual when if I had already had a manual I could have gotten alot of other stuff but hey it was fun lol