General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By anya2dgre
#356211 So I replaced my fly wheel ,clutch disc, pressure plate and slave cylinder. When I reach about 3k rpm clutch keeps slipping. Can any one share some info on what is the first step in trouble shooting.
By TrailerTrash
#356217 the first step is giving us some info

what engine and tranny do you have?

did you bleed the slave cylinder properly?

did you clean the flywheel to get all the oil off of it before installing it?

did you give the clutch time to break in?
By anya2dgre
#356229 It's a s20 tranny with a d15b 3 stage vtec engine. I installed the clutch kit one week ago. Cleaned it up real good . Did less than 50 miles since installation. Everything all bled out properly. It's a seco clutch kit from gripforce
By HeikDiesel
#356342 Everything looks super rusty. That pressure plate doesn't look very good. Even though you cleaned it up it still looks porous and rusty in spots. Did you have a professional resurface the flywheel as well? How did you clean the pressure plate surface?
By anya2dgre
#356407 The fly wheel was new I ordered it to match the clutch kit that I had sitting there for about 1 yr. I wiped out the fly wheel using grease remover and then scuffed it out with some 220sand paper the same thing was done to the pressure plate mating surface.
By HeikDiesel
#356442 220 is pretty rough sand paper. I would have just sprayed down the flywheel with brake kleen since it was new. If the pressure plate was that rough I would have just bought a new clutch. An OEM excedy is only like $150. I'm not for sure what your problem is but I think surface finish is playing a big factor into it. You may try calling gripforce and asking them about the pressure plate
By anya2dgre
#356492 The pressure plate was not rough to that extent the machined lines was still visible after I just scuffed out the light rust specs on it. The breakin period is like 500 miles and the car does less than 2 miles per day from Monday to Friday for the past 3 weeks so I think I will have to relax on it for a while and see what happens although I miss my pace on it. On weekends I think I will have to do some distances. I understand what you ment about the price but where I am from you pay something like over 2 grand for this brand of clutch kit. :thumb:
By HeikDiesel
#356556 $2k for a clutch? My Competition Clutch Twin Disc wasn't even that much and I run that on my 700whp drag car
By TrailerTrash
#356573 in your daily commute how much stopping and starting do you do?

and in relation to that question... i dont want to come off as a dick here... but can you drive a standard car well? do you ride the clutch or do that rev rev rev thing when you pull out?

the 500 mile break in is just a general idea but it also has to be broke in properly or a new setup wont last long at all
By anya2dgre
#356679 With respect to trailer trash question, I don't drive my car like that I understand the concept of break in but just never installed a new clutch setup as yet. From here to work is just like about 15 mins which really isn't much driving and that's all I did for the past 3 weeks with a lot of shifting involved. This week will make it one month. On Monday night was my first highway run and she ran sweet :crazy: just with no high shifts and no over revs. The car ran with power. Average about 5 miles. Tonight I ran about 9 miles highway again and ran well actually. When i came off the highway the clutch felt like it was comin clean. There was no slippage but still not over revving as yet. I am feeling the grip getting better but still in the safe zone :weee: .I will have to update on how it comes along.