General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Loaf31
#356007 Would it be worthwhile to swap a D16Y8 tranny onto my B7 block? Is it basically the same as the Z6 tranny? Both the Y8 tranny and the B7 tranny in my car are manual. Would it be an easy swap? Do I need to swap ECUs? Please let me know guys :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#356014 im pretty sure its a dir ect swap in other than the speed sensor mount with MAY be different im not 100% but i know that some(maybe all) speed sensors are different from 92-95 and 96-00. they may mount the same way but i know at least the ones ive changed have looked different.

but anyway here are the gear ratios

B7 - 3.250 1.761 1.172 0.909 0.702
Y8 3.250 1.909 1.250 0.909 0.702

the only real difference is in 2nd and 3rd and if you ask me its not actually worth the effort to swap. maybe if your B7 tranny grinds and you have a nicer Y8 tranny and you also need a clutch done then yeah id say go for it. but not just for a little shorter gearing cause that B7 aint gunna feel any faster.

i have a JDM D15b in my coupe and i have had a VX, DX, and EX tranny in it. the DX is what i have now and it wasnt super noticable going from an EX to a DX. and not worth finding a good EX to put in.

i got a little long winded there :lol:
By TrailerTrash
#356160 :thumb:

no problemo dude
By suspendedHatch
#357271 The info here is incomplete.
Though he posted the five gear ratios he neglected the final gear ratio which is the most important because it affects every gear. VTEC D series trannies final gear ratio is 4.25 while non VTEC is 4.058. That, coupled with the shorter 2nd and 3rd make this one of the most worthwhile upgrades you can do. Shorter gearing is like free horsepower without stressing the motor. MFactory has some good reading on their site if you want to check it out.
Very worthwhile. I would put this ahead of any other mod you could do, short of turbocharging and tuning.

You can swap over your speed sensor if needed.
No need or benefit in changing the ECU.
The Si and EX transmissions are the same.
The clutch cover between the engine and trans wont fit if you mix OBD generations of tranmissions. Not a big deal but if you can get a Z6 trans, the cover will fit.
By EconoBox
#358137 I have a D16y8 manual transmission sitting in my garage I have been trying to sell forever. Message me if you may want it. I can bring it up to IFO Gainesville with me for a good deal :woot: