General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By vince72310
#353996 I'm in the process of getting a JDM d15b SOHCVTEC engine and slap on a si tranny. Idk what clutch to run. I was thinking a stage 3 because I do love to step on it. What stage3 clutch brand will be good for this engine? Or anyother stages or brands? Thanks
By suspendedHatch
#354003 The clutch rating isn't based on how you drive, it's how much the engine puts out. Stage 3 would be massive overkill. You're spending a ton of money and it's going to be a very heavy pedal.

OEM or Stage 1 is plenty for most everyone here.
By vince72310
#354014 what about a ACT clutch stage 2 or an Action Clutch? with what brand flywheel? a 10lb? or lighter? :?

Anybody running a ACT clutch or AC clutch on their d15b vtec?
By teal_dx
#354017 ACT would be a good choice - a very reputable company. If your motor is stock or only has light bolt ons, just get the OEM or Stage 1, as mentioned. I wouldn't go lighter than 10 lb on the flywheel. The lighter you go, the more inertia you will lose going up hill. I notice this a lot more after installing an 8lb flywheel on my D16. If I could do it again, I'd go 10 or 12 lb for a happy medium. A light flywheel is fun but you are forced to shift fast all the time to keep the revs matched.
By vince72310
#354062 Anybody know if an excedy stage 1 clutch will fit and work with my jspec d15b I need to know asap. If anybody knows the number or which one please let me know
By suspendedHatch
#354073 Yeah, all SOHC D series 89-00 use interchangeable clutches and flywheels if I'm not mistaken.
By teal_dx
#354087 I thought something changed with the clutch/flywheel setup slightly when they went to a hydraulic clutch in 1992. I can't recall but it was something minor... the throwout bearing design?
By vince72310
#354113 i bought an exedy stage 1 clutch kit, what are some good brands but cheap flywheels for my d15b im not looking to spend more then idk $150 max and nothing too heavy either possibly aluminum? idk let me know
By teal_dx
#354116 As with anything, you get what you pay for. :thumb: Fidanza and some other upscale flywheels have replaceable friction surfaces, but are more $$.

ACT is a good brand, average priced.

I'd look at how much you have to spend and what weight you decided on and go from there :thumb:
By vince72310
#354132 im thinking at least a 10lb around that range, nothing smaller or to heavy. i did buy an exedy stage1 clutch and i dont want a light flywheel cuz this is my DD and dont want nothing that will kill my leg in traffic everyday haha or just buy one from ebay idk