General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By dmar13
#353955 5 speed ls transmission . I had just finished a b swap on this car. Ok i have a oil leak coming from the driver side of the trans where the intermediate shaft plugs in and there is a rubber rubbing noise every revolution of the wheels,i can also feel a vibration in the stick shifter while the rubbing noise occurs.
So i replaced the seal, still the same issues. I replaced the seal again thinking that maybe i put the seal in to deep or crooked. Still! Same issues. Im thinking the seal may not be the issue.
When i bolted up the intermediate shaft for the FIRST time it was super hard to do because i had to torque the botom bolts in order to line up the upper bolt holes. Keep in mind there are only three bolts hold the intermediate shaft down to the block.

Ok thats the background story. My questions are,
1. Was it super hard to bolt down the intermediate shaft for any body?
2. Is it possible that the intermediate shaft could be alil crooked thus not easily lining up with the bolt holes on the block?
3. Can a crooked intermediate shaft rub against the inner side of the rubber seal to make the sqweek sound?
4. Can a crooked intermediate shaft create an improper seal against the intermediate shaft which causes an oil leak?

Please reply if you know the answers , thanks
By egsedanguy
#353956 when you say it was hard to bolt down, ypou mean like the bolts did not turn easy? if so did you make sure the bolts where not to long? also did you check the shaft for play in the bearing?
By dmar13
#353958 The bolts were hard to turn because the half shaft bolt plate didnt lay flush with the block, they are the correct bolts. If i need to be more clear about anything or u need more info plz let me know._.
Btw this halfshaft wasnt new when i got it, i think it may have been pulled from a wrecked car cuz an axel was still pluged in , looks like some saw zaw the rest of the axel off.
By HeikDiesel
#353960 Those bolts are a centering bolt. The un-threaded portion actually is larger than the m10x1.25 thread and sits in the carrier bearing bracket and then bolt to the block. You should be able to slide the half shaft in and then flip the bracket up and have it sit nice on the face of the block. If there's an issue with that you need to see what's causing that. Something doesn't sound right at all.
By dmar13
#353973 Ya, the half shaft bolt plate doesnt sit flat against the block. Gotta torque the lower bolts before i can torque the upper bolt. Ima search for a known good half shaft n see if that resolves the problem. Maybe the half shaft i got came out of a wrecked car and got bent outta shape. Ill keep u guys updated . Any body have this issue before?
By suspendedHatch
#353976 Sounds like the axel is for an automatic. You need one from a manual trans equipped vehicle.
By dmar13
#353978 What are the differences between auto half shaft and a manuel half shaft.
By suspendedHatch
#354002 The difference sounds just like what you described in the bracket that bolts to the block.

The bracket should bolt right up with no resistance.
By dmar13
#354024 Suspendedhatch. I believe you are completely correct about my half shaft beaing automatic. I came across a thread on honda tech forum that showed the difference from an auto to manuel half haft. The half shafts also have a number stamped on the braket. Iooked up the number on my bracket and what do you know, automatic. So I'm hunting for a manuel one and maybe that will fix my squeeking and oil leak issue. I can imagine forcing the auto shaft to bolt up to the block put it at an incorect angle witch also cause some wear on the half shaft splines. Thanks for the advice when Ifix this issue ill let you guys know.

On a side note, I currently have an ls trans with a sticker on it that sais s80. The guy Ibought it from claimed it was gsr and I fell for it. Fast forward a year. Sooo today I went to check out another trans. The guy claimed it came out of a 99 si em1. Buuut it also had an s80 sticker. So I asked him to open it so I can't count teeth on the gears he said no, I asked if I can open it he still said no. So I think he was trying to sell me an ls trans. He was only trying to sell it. And the half shaft with a short shifter for 400 bucks. I didn't trust him then he said there might be a fifth gsr gear in there. So Ididnt buy it. Does an si trans come with an s80 sticker? Do you guys think this person was trying to jip me? Also BUYERS BEWARE!!
By suspendedHatch
#354074 Never trust Honda people or anyone on Craigslist. If you can't verify it, it's a ripoff.

"S80" tells you next to nothing since it's found on a wide variety of transmissions. There was a thread on Hondaswap or somewhere that goes into detail about it.

Try to avoid Hater-Tech or at least mentioning it by name. If you're curious why - here's an example. An admin there threatened to ban my account because someone there used a photo from my website without permission or credit, and I called them out for it (I wasn't even rude about it). This is the same admin that deletes my posts when I point out his incorrect information, and then leaves the false info intact.

On HT it doesn't matter if you're wrong, or if you're violating intellectual property rights. All that matters is who your friends are.

By dmar13
#354084 Ill be sure to be careful to what I listen to on the other site. Well I think Solved my oil leak and sqweek noise problem. I took my transmission apart to find my differential is broke. The bearing on the half shaft side along with the metal from the diff its pressed onto is no longer attached. So I believe that using an auto half shaft put a lot of force on the diff thus breaking it. Now I'm on the hunt for a differential and manuel teggy half shaft. Turns out broken diffs were common according to a shop I called in fontana california, because of the auto half shaft. So be sure what parts you have. My first swap n I learned a ton. When Iget all the correct parts ill be sure to post back if everything runs fine.