General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By modmonte
#352819 Hey everyone,

I am trying to purchase a transmission for my B18C5 motor as the one that is currently on the motor is a "Y80" I believe, which is cable and non-lsd. I'd like to get an LSD trans that is hydro.

There is a guy near me that says he has two type trans from a somewhat reputable speed shop. My questions are:

How do I know that it is true type r internals, and what types of markings should I be looking for on the trans? One trans has "J4D" stamped on the casing with "LSD" under it.

He said one is a USDM type r and the other is JDM type r.

Also any tips for someone who is purchasing their first trans? He wants $1000.00 for the USDM and $1500 for the JDM which also has carbon syncros, & LS 5th gear.

Any feedback, thoughts, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
By EconoBox
#352821 Your Y80 transmission is definitely a hydraulic transmission and it is possible that it is the correct transmission to come on your B18C5 depending on what year the motor is. The only way to tell what gear ratios you have is to pop the case open and count teeth. The stamping on the case only gives you an idea which chassis it could have come from. Also Y80 transmission had optional LSDs depending on which chassis it came from any CTR or ITR with that would have an LSD (SIR its optional) so look through the differential and double check before you go throw money into buying another transmission.

All the info you need.
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm

And just a warning on buying used transmissions for a Honda. Don't do it unless you know what to look for. You can buy an ITR case with LS gears or a grinding third. I've bought a ton of used transmissions and I always open the case before doing so. Its saved me a lot of money and headaches from buying junk just to install it and be disappointed later. The other option if you aren't to worried about what gears it has is to drive it while it is still installed in the car of the person selling it. I've never had an honest seller upset that I wanted to open the case. It takes a few hand tools and snap ring pliers and the case can be opened in about 5 minutes.
By modmonte
#352822 My Apologies Econo, I think it must be different than the Y80 I mentioned as it is definitely a cable clutch, and I really want to go hydro. The motor is in a 93 integra GS-R that came with the B17 motors. (I also got 2 extra B17 blocks when I bought the car, the swap, and some tools for $2000.00)

I'll take a look at the link in a moment but I finishing up reading the thread on CopyLifted's car lol. Wow that is an awesome and inspiring thread, but I'll stick with the type r for now.
By dmar13
#353319 Make sure they are legit trans with vins to verify what type of trans it is. I made the mistake of trusting a guy and buying a <gsr> trans without a vin._. Took it home,opened it up,found a shattered countershaft bearing and it was an LS trans. Buyer beware.
By modmonte
#353340 I appreciate the reply, and sorry to hear about your trans, that really sucks!

As soon as I got to the guys house I popped the case open and counted every single tooth on every single gear. Inspected the case and levers for any signs on damage and all looked really good. The magnet was full of some filings, but not as much as I had expected. LSD looked good as well.

Got a USDM Type R that im pretty happy with for $1000.00. Also came with an intermediate shaft, slave, fork, and integra 3-bolt motor mount I needed.