General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Rufuseg8
#351954 First off here's my vehicle info.
1995 Civic EG8 AT
Original transmission with unknown mileage, my spedo has been broken forever and I was so busy in college I never had the time to fix it. Anyway I would venture and say at least 220, xxnx .180,000 stuck on dash and that's from 2011. Regardless during this time I have done absolutely no transmission Maintenance was wondering where I should start. I've been a bit reluctant bc of something I heard about changing oil and stuff on very old transmissions. Could be an old wives tale but I haven't had any tranny issues during this time but I don't wanna start bc I simply neglected it so...any advice is helpful. Thank You for your patience.
By teal_dx
#351955 Regular maintenance is key. :thumb:
I don't know the intervals for auto transmission fluid (should say in your owner's manual) but if Honda says to change the fluid after a certain amount of miles, I would definitely do it. Honda recommends everything for a reason. :thumb:
By Rufuseg8
#351957 I have a Haynes I will check really quickly
By EconoBox
#351963 Honda says this in the owner manual for a 1995 EG Sedan

"The transmission should be drained
and refilled with new fluid every 24
months or 48,000 km (30,000 miles),
whichever comes first. Shorten this
to every 12 months or 24,000 km
(15,000 miles) under severe driving
conditions"

For the fluid to use this is what Honda says:
"Use
Honda Premium Formula Automatic
Transmission Fluid or an
equivalent DEXRON® II Automatic
Transmission Fluid (ATF)
only."

We do these all day at the dealership. Honda has a new ATF from what they use to use when the manual was written. With a drain and fill I have never seen any issues with the transmission going bad. The horror stories are when people use a pressurized flush machine and destroy the clutch packs or clog up solenoids with debris. If it hasn't been changed in a long time I would do a drain and fill then drive the car for a day and perform another drain and fill. You can get Honda ATF at your local dealer for $8.23 a bottle.
By 94civicmtn
#351964 What about for a manual transmission? Same thing?
By teal_dx
94civicmtn wrote:What about for a manual transmission? Same thing?

I feel like a manual trans was much higher, something like 75k miles.

And EconoBox, I've read a lot of your posts and you are a Honda encyclopedia :thumb:
By EconoBox
teal_dx wrote:
94civicmtn wrote:What about for a manual transmission? Same thing?

I feel like a manual trans was much higher, something like 75k miles.

And EconoBox, I've read a lot of your posts and you are a Honda encyclopedia :thumb:

Thanks teal_dx I have been in wholesale parts at Honda for 5 years now and I haven't ever owned anything other than Hondas since I started driving 10 years ago. Being at the dealership has the perks of instant access to the owners manuals and service manuals.

This is what Honda says in the owners manual for manal transmission:
"Only use an API Service SF or SG
grade motor oil with a viscosity of
SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40.
The transmission should be drained
and refilled with new oil every 24
months or 48,000 km (30,000 miles),
whichever comes first. Shorten the
service interval to every 12 months
or 24,000 km (15,000 miles) under
severe driving conditions"

^ I can't tell you the last time I actually followed this recomendation for any of my cars. I have always done it around 60,000 miles and I believe that is what our scheduled maintenance poster from Honda recommends. They do suggest using the Honda MTF but regular oil works fine. Try to avoid synchromesh and gear oil because they dont properly lubricate the Honda manual transmissions.
By suspendedHatch
#352085 Absolutely use Honda-specific ATF. Anything else will ruin the trans and then you'll add your voice to the chorus of false information that Honda automatics are unreliable.

With manuals, absolutely DO NOT use gear oil. If you take your car to Pep Boys or some shitty little shop, they'll put gear oil in your trans. 10w30 oil is okay, but if you care about long term longevity and shift quality, you'll use an actual transmission fluid. If your trans has 200k on it, just use oil as suggested. It wont make any difference at this point.