General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By dmar13
#351481 ok , so I finished my b20 five speed swap. I turn the car on in neutral and its sounds normal, until... I take my foot off of the clutch and the trans makes a loud ugly noise. ive googled this and came up with either throw out bearing or the input shaft bearing. my throw out bearing is new and doesn't make a sound with the clutch pedal pressed. what do you guys think? ISB is bad?

sucky part is I paid 480 bucks for this trans. I think I was bamboozled. :thumbdown:
By TrailerTrash
#351485 it sounds like something was installed incorrectly. it could be a few different things but you might aswell start taking it back apart cause you wont know till you are in there
By dmar13
#351492 ok can you tell me those few things? all I can think of is the clutch assembly but how can you install those wrong if they bolt on one way.
I didn't even get to drive it yet, think its a super bad idea to go thru the gears on my street to see if it shifts fine or not?
has any body have any experience using gsr trans rebuild kits sold on ebay?
By jred
#351536 My brother had this same problem/noise, when we opened it up the revets holding the clutch pads had broken off and the metal plate was just spinning on the fly wheel, you should open it up and see what's going on i there
By dmar13
#351572 ok I opened up the transmission. baaad news, n im pretty pissed cuz of how much I paid for this "gsr " trans. ok let me tell you guys about when I first bought this trans. the guy said its a gsr rebuilt trans, but it had no vin code on it. ya it was stupid to trust the guy. so I install this trans and a loud grumbling noise occurs. take the trans out. go to take it apart and notice the snap ring is already off the bearing, bad sign. so I split the bell housing and I hear something like glass shattering! so im like WTF! I look and the freaking bearing that was suppose to have the snap ring on shattered into pieces of shrapnel!
well do you guys thing that's the cause of the problem? I think so . but that's not all.
this guy also said he has a rebuilt LS trans for like 600. I said no cuz I want the gsr. now that I have the gsr open I count the teeth n turns out I have the LS final drive, 3rd 4th and 5 Ls gear
:x so dam retarded, I pay thinking its a gsr but its got the dam LS guts inside.

I had to vent a bit. no use contacting this guy, I bought this trans almost 6 months ago. moral of story, don't trust any seller, and if you do want to purchase a tranny, I suggest taking it apart in front of the seller so you know hes not full of shit. if the trans is legit then the seller shouldn't worry and you would buy the trans anyways right?

ok I should have pics posted soon of the bearing and gears so I can get an opinion on the teeth and what not. I checked the other bearings, they spin free, smooth and quiet. so the bearings should be good right?

btw I installed a new fidanza flywheel and exedy stage 2 clutch kit. new throw out bearing as well.

I just took the main and counter shafts out. counted the teeth on all the gears. it a whole ls trans. Total BS. im thinking of just fixing the issue with this trans and selling it. this was not the trans I wanted.