General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By jamdat
#350218 Hi all,
The auto transmission in my 95 civic will no longer go into park. The shift lever will go all the way up into P, the P light on the cluster will come on and I can turn the car off and take out the key. But if I turn the car on like this, I'm instantly going in reverse.
So now I have to put the car in N, turn off the engine, put the lever in P and take out the key. To turn it on I put the key in, turn on power, move lever to N and then start the car. Not pleasant.

It seems that there is a sensor on the lever which lights up the P, N, D lights and the cable does the actual shifting on the transmission. So I'm thinking the sensor works, but the cable is messed up.

Any help on diagnosis? I'm seriously hoping that it is the cable and not the whole transmission that is busted. Every other gear works fine.

Many thanks.
By teal_dx
#350219 It sounds like it would be the cable. Unfortunately, most of us haven't worked on the auto tranny's here. I'd guess the cable might be slightly stretched from years of use, making it do that. Is the trans operating okay otherwise?
By jamdat
teal_dx wrote:It sounds like it would be the cable. Unfortunately, most of us haven't worked on the auto tranny's here. I'd guess the cable might be slightly stretched from years of use, making it do that. Is the trans operating okay otherwise?
Hi, thanks for the reply.
The transmission is perfect apart from this (surprisingly, considering it's got nearly 400km on it). Once it gets into gear, it runs very smoothly.
About six months ago it started to get very hard to push the lever into gear. So I'd have to put it up close to P and then really push until I heard it lock in. It was also hard to pull it into D. I sprayed some oil where the cable went into the trans and it seemed to get better.

I wish I had a manual. Everything would be so much easier.