General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By vince72310
#349108 ok i decided that i am going to get a B18C1 for my 95 EG hatchback, i was going to buy it off of HMO but for $350 more i can get a LSD tranny. I did some research on it but people are saying its really ideal if your going to use it to drag race which i'm not maybe a little track time here and there. I really don't know if i should keep the hydro tranny or get the LSD one im going to use the car as a daily driver, thanks

A "hydro" transmission is one that uses hydraulics for the clutch to (dis)/engage- these being a clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, brake fluid and lines to disengage the clutch. 92+ Civics are all hydraulic clutch transmissions.

LSD= Limited Slip Differential. This is the differential inside the transmission. In few words, it allows both drive wheel to put power to the ground, while allowing different rotational speeds for corners and such(as opposed to a Spool/welded diff, where both wheels spin the same speed ALWAYS- not good on a FF car, unless full drag).

taken off honda-tech.com
By TrailerTrash
#349126 an LSD transmission is pretty pointless for a daily driver. unless it doubles as a track/strip car.

and I'm not sure if you know this or not but no matter if its LSD or not it is going to be a hydraulic transmission.

unless you plan on buying a cable tranny
By teal_dx
#349127 I never knew what I was missing out on until I installed an LSD in my Si trans. It's not a day/night difference under normal driving, but when cornering under throttle, the car feels more solidly connected to the pavement. Banging gears feels more connected as well. If you're going to do any track driving, the $350 is worth it, since you're already buying the trans and installing it anyways. As TT said above, not worth it for a daily driver street car though.
By suspendedHatch
#349145 Without LSD, your car is really one wheel drive. I love it for rain, snow, gravel. It's not exclusively for racing. In fact, the only OEM Honda LSD worth using for racing is in the Type R trans.

I had the hard to find D series LSD on a 3 Stage VTEC swap and I had a Type R trans in my GSR.

"Hydro" refers to how the clutch is actuated and has nothing to do with whether the trans has LSD or not.
By mADmAN
#349598 my experience with LSD with my ex-EF Hatch

with YS1 LSD, when one side is going through deep puddles after rain, not a big deal...

i then sold the gearbox and swapped in a non-LSD Y1... going through puddles would pull the steering quite heavily...

with current EG Hatch...

no LSD is fine, except for the puddle thing mentioned above... then the gearbox broke...

swapped in a JDM ITR S80 (4.4FD)...steering was heavier.. cornering etc was good like teal mentioned...and just overall a better driving experience...

really dont wanna go back to non-LSD gearboxes

worth it or not for a daily driver? i say yes.. if u get lots of puddles... but if u car only sees even a little track/strip...id still say yes...

basically if u plan on doing any form of "sporty" driving anywhere (mountains/track/bla bla bla)...worth it...

unless u only use the car to cruise to the grocery store.. then no