General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 94civicmtn
#348479 i am VERY new to the honda scene. i have my 1st honda which is a 95 sedan d15b7 with an auto trans. im wanting to do a mini me swap. and can get an ex trans from a friend with 2nd gear out of it. but my question is, is it worth the work or what? ive never done a trans swap like this. im no professional mechanic but im not a complete moron either lol i would really prefer a manuel tranny but ANY advice at all would help. Thanks!!
By teal_dx
#348480 The auto trans is soooo slow. You'll like the EX trans much better. There's a couple how-to's for rebuilding a trans in the DIY list: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1474

Somehow there isn't an auto to manual swap on there but it has been covered many times in posts. Here's a list of parts needed:
D series Tranny
passenger auto to manual conversion mount
rear Tranny mount
Flywheel
Clutch Disc
Pressure Plate
MANUAL flywheel bolts
Pressure plate bolts
Manual starter
Shift linkage
Shifter
Clutch / brake pedals
Clutch pedal connector (has 2 wires on it that you will be extending later)
Not needed but you can get a standard cluster if you want to have the RPMS and not have the " P R N D4 D3 2 1 "
Center console (its the same as auto but you will need the leather/rubber boot that goes around the shifter)
Manual ECU
Clutch Lines
Master & slave cyls
Clutch fork (engages from slave to clutch)

After you do all the mechanical stuff, there's a little bit of wiring involved so that the reverse lights and the clutch safety switch will work.
By 94civicmtn
#348484 So it'd probably be a good idea if I had a donor car then wouldn't it? Lol or does it sound worse then it is? Lol
By suspendedHatch
#348510 Look to spend $600-1000 and you'll have to weld a plate over the automatic shifter hole in the exhaust tunnel and cut a new hole for the manual shifter.

Those two things deter most people.
By teal_dx
suspendedHatch wrote:Look to spend $600-1000 and you'll have to weld a plate over the automatic shifter hole in the exhaust tunnel and cut a new hole for the manual shifter.

Those two things deter most people.

I didn't have to cut out a new hole for the shifter. It was already there from the auto shifter. I did have to drill 2 holes for the bolts on the back of the shifter linkage though. There are already indentations on top of the tunnel for where the holes need to be drilled.
My EG and EK were both like this.

If you aren't able to weld, you can always get a piece of sheet metal and some silicone calk.

By 94civicmtn
#348587 Seems like a lot of work lol idk if I'm ready to tackle that kind of project... I thinki could gather the parts up but I'm iffy about actually tearing in haha. I've literally never done a project like this be4... :?
By teal_dx
#348598 It's not too difficult, just takes some time. The only 2 parts that made me angry was getting the tranny lined up with the motor to get them bolted together (would be easy with 2 people) and removing/installing the damn clutch/brake pedals, mostly because you're laying half way out of your car upside down and it's the least comfortable way to work on anything.
By suspendedHatch
teal_dx wrote:mostly because you're laying half way out of your car upside down and it's the least comfortable way to work on anything.

That was 5 years of my life as an installer lol. Definitely agree.

Still do it, but only for my own cars.
By bmacd11
#348631 sorry to butt in on your thread but what from that list is needed if i do a full d15 or d16 vtec swap with the manual tranny into an auto car. easier cause the tranny is already attached? im debating between doing the swap or finding a manual car too. the time and work are not a huge issue.
By juls1488
94civicmtn wrote:Seems like a lot of work lol idk if I'm ready to tackle that kind of project... I thinki could gather the parts up but I'm iffy about actually tearing in haha. I've literally never done a project like this be4... :?

an auto to manual conversion was the first real project i did on my first car. it was an ek hatch. before that all i had ever done was the usual stuff like oil, tires, and brakes.
i had a three day weekend when i did mine. just go slow, double check everything.
it also doesnt hurt to have a haynes or a chilton manual on hand either.
good luck. :thumb:
By vince72310
#348946 im looking into doing the same! i have a d15b7 and i do planning on going b18c5 so i might as well do the swap and auto to 5speed at the same time but also i wanted to practice on the d15 but idk we shall see! :woot:

im having a hard time finding a dseries tranny for my car as well where as i wll get a complete change over swap so it will already have a tranny lol