General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Dam1an3
#346981 So I walked in to advanced auto part looking for trans fluid for my d15b vtec and was told to use 10w30, but the guy said he uses ATF for his car and told me to just use that.. He has an srt4 and he says it works just fine? Should I get it ATF or stick to the 10w30? :?
By Leppy
Dam1an3 wrote:So I walked in to advanced auto part looking for trans fluid for my d15b vtec and was told to use 10w30, but the guy said he uses ATF for his car and told me to just use that.. He has an srt4 and he says it works just fine? Should I get it ATF or stick to the 10w30? :?

They've told me that too. Honestly, your best bet is to go to Honda and get Honda brand MTF (if you have a manual) or Honda brand ATF (if you have an auto, you never specified). You can't go wrong that way, since the stuff is quality.
By TrailerTrash
#346991 ive always used 10w30 in my manuals ive never heard of using ATF in a manual :?

the Honda brand stuff is really good stuff like Leppy said its a bit pricey but its not like youll be chaging it every 3k miles
By rtegra92
#347021 back when the 6 speed tls and rsx's were having 3 gear "notchy" complailnts and acura didnt have a fix of buletin for it the dealer paid me straight time to find the best fluid,
tl came in with a notchy feel and under high rpm quick shifting a slight grind

replaced the fluid with GM syncromesh and the notchyness and grind was gone and felt good,

drained the syncromesh till there wasnt even a drip

filled with royal purple SYNCROMAX

the grind and notchyness was still gone BUT the shifting felt a little more "buttery" and felt like a little more effort moving from gear to gear

possibly due to the royal purple being slightly thicker,

on a separate vehicle with same symptoms, i replaced the fluid with new honda fluid and it did make it better but honda later released a service bulletin for third gear replacement

this has just been my experience hope this input helps in your decision