General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 92civicEGsedan
#346736 They have a 98 civic at my dads work it is a manual and I need to know if I can take everything(tranny, pedals, shift linkage, etc.) out of it and swap into my 92 civic that's an auto
By teal_dx
#346745 The tranny, flywheel, clutch are interchangeable with a 92-95 but the pedals are slightly different.

The shift linkage is the same, as well as the shifter.

The master cyl, slave cyl should also be the same.

You won't be able to re-use the rear mount bracket but the rear mount itself should be the same as a 92-95 manual mount.

You'll need a rear bracket from a manual 92-95.

You'll also need a 92-95 auto to manual conversion mount for the tranny.

You'll need an OBD1 manual ECU.
By 92civicEGsedan
teal_dx wrote:The tranny, flywheel, clutch are interchangeable with a 92-95 but the pedals are slightly different.

The shift linkage is the same, as well as the shifter.

The master cyl, slave cyl should also be the same.

You won't be able to re-use the rear mount bracket but the rear mount itself should be the same as a 92-95 manual mount.

You'll need a rear bracket from a manual 92-95.

You'll also need a 92-95 auto to manual conversion mount for the tranny.

You'll need an OBD1 manual ECU.

Alright thanks teal.
By suspendedHatch
#346801 One minor thing about mixing transmissions from different Civic generations is that no flywheel cover will fit. You'll probably never have a problem but it bothers me to think about all the snow, road salt, and gunk that it gets exposed to.
By 92civicEGsedan
suspendedHatch wrote:One minor thing about mixing transmissions from different Civic generations is that no flywheel cover will fit. You'll probably never have a problem but it bothers me to think about all the snow, road salt, and gunk that it gets exposed to.

What is this flywheel cover you speaketh of?
By brandoff88
#349789 if your under your engine where the oil pan is look towards the trans, and you should see a half circle plate covering the flywheel, without that, stuff can get up inside there

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... =0&ndsp=18

not exactly what youll see but it will look like that without the cover and I personally wouldn't wanna risk it...I was apprehensive enough running without an upper timing cover.
By TrailerTrash
#349804 i ran my car for quite awhile without the flywheel cover before i purchased one from Majestic Hondas website. got some snow up in there a few times and the clutch wanted to slip. rain would cause the same problem too if it was really heavy and deep on the road.

i wouldnt advise going without one on a car you care about

on a side note ive ran my car for the last 40k miles without an upper timing cover. again i wouldnt do it on a car you like.

but its still not as bad as people running their cars without the lower and upper timing cover... last summer at a show i saw 5 out of 6 B series civics running no timing covers at all :eh:
By brandoff88
#349818 well eventually I want a red adjustable am gear...for bling I suppose but I had to take my upper cover off as my timing belt rubbed against it and made a horrid racket haha
By suspendedHatch
TrailerTrash wrote:i wouldnt advise going without one on a car you care about

Yeah but he'll have no choice if he puts an EK trans on an EG engine. The flywheel cover wont match the block. For that reason I recommend against it.
By TrailerTrash
suspendedHatch wrote:
TrailerTrash wrote:i wouldnt advise going without one on a car you care about

Yeah but he'll have no choice if he puts an EK trans on an EG engine. The flywheel cover wont match the block. For that reason I recommend against it.

yeah id advise against it too.

but i was getting at more of a general information point of view. for others reading this thread. you would probably be surprised how often ive googled something about a civic and found the answer in a link to this site :thumb:
By 92civicEGsedan
brandoff88 wrote:if your under your engine where the oil pan is look towards the trans, and you should see a half circle plate covering the flywheel, without that, stuff can get up inside there

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... =0&ndsp=18

not exactly what youll see but it will look like that without the cover and I personally wouldn't wanna risk it...I was apprehensive enough running without an upper timing cover.

I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm haha :D