General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By ottofalcon
#343922 Hello!

I'm having some problems with my s1 trans, I have the car up on jack stands and when I put the car in gear the axles dont move, it doesnt matter what gear i'm in, at first i thought it was clutch or pressure plate issues but I rulled that out because if I try to put it in gear without pressing the clutch pedal the gears grind. Another thing I noticed was if I move the axles with the car off and in gear I dont hear any movement in the trans, also since I have an open diff trans I'm pretty sure that if i move the wheels by hand in any direction the wheel on the other side should move in the opposite direction and this does not happen and when i do move the wheels with the car in gear there is no resistance it moves freely, I'm sure my diff is the cause. Has anybody else had a problem like this?
Thank you for your time!
By ottofalcon
#343926 anybody? Help!
By teal_dx
I'm having some problems with my s1 trans, I have the car up on jack stands and when I put the car in gear the axles dont move, it doesnt matter what gear i'm in, at first i thought it was clutch or pressure plate issues but I rulled that out because if I try to put it in gear without pressing the clutch pedal the gears grind. Another thing I noticed was if I move the axles with the car off and in gear I dont hear any movement in the trans, also since I have an open diff trans I'm pretty sure that if i move the wheels by hand in any direction the wheel on the other side should move in the opposite direction and this does not happen and when i do move the wheels with the car in gear there is no resistance it moves freely, I'm sure my diff is the cause. Has anybody else had a problem like this?

I'm confused because in the top of your post, you say the axles don't move when in gear, but later in the post, you say the wheels move with the car in gear - the wheels and axles are connected.

Just to be sure, you have the car on jack stands, in gear? If so, the wheels will not turn because you're turning against the compression of the engine. Same reason as when parking on a hill, some people leave their car in 1st gear in addition to the parking brake.
By ottofalcon
#343929 Yeah sorry about that, what I mean is when I move the wheels by hand and the car is in gear there is no resistance. It is as if the car is always in neutral, I ruled out clutch issues because if I select a gear with the car running it grinds. All of this is happening while the car is on jack stands.

Sorry I wrote all of this from my phone and it's a hassle.
By teal_dx
ottofalcon wrote:Yeah sorry about that, what I mean is when I move the wheels by hand and the car is in gear there is no resistance. It is as if the car is always in neutral, I ruled out clutch issues because if I select a gear with the car running it grinds. All of this is happening while the car is on jack stands.

That makes me think the clutch is not engaging. If it was against the flywheel, you'd be trying to turn the engine. And it makes since it would grind going into gear with a dysfunctional clutch.

I move the axles with the car off and in gear I dont hear any movement in the trans

This has me stumped though...
By ottofalcon
#343932 Well I the thing that has me worried is the fact that if I leave it in gear (car off) and try and move the wheels there is no resistance, and since i have and open diff the wheel on the other side has to move in the opposite direction and there has to be some sort of noise coming from the transmission as I do this and that's not the case, none of these things happen. I'm beginning to suspect my diff is blown. I had the transmission opened up and the guy told me everything was in good shape but he never checked the differential. And it's a pain, because it's the third time I have to take the transmission out of the car, I'm about to set the car on fire! >:|

Also I have an S1 tranny, Fidanza Flywheel and exedy clutch and pressure plate.
By ottofalcon
#343936 Well when I got the transmission it was empty and It was missing a bearing, but the magnet it has on the bottom had quite a lot of fine metal shavings and some where spread out the housing which really baffled me because all of the gears look new with little to no wear.
By ottofalcon
#343940 Nop, I havent had the chance to finish it yet :-(
By TrailerTrash
#343941 sounds to me like one or both of the axles arent seated the entire way into the transmission. i had this exact problem after a tranny swap and turns out the driverside axle was like 1/4 of an inch out of the tranny
By ottofalcon
#343946 Really? What about the intermediate shaft, mine is bolted up to the block and the drivers side axle is properly seated into it and the drivers side axle doesnt move either.
By TrailerTrash
#343965 are you 100% sure they are seated the whole way? it can be just a tiny gap

im not trying to convince you that this is the solution im just saying that i had this exact problem and that was the cause
By ottofalcon
#343973 I'll check as soon as I get a chance, but yes I'm pretty sure they are completely seated. I'll let you guys know what I find, thank you for all your help.