General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
chrono404 wrote:
JNav93 wrote:i think i have the syncho problem cuz when im going into 2nd at high rpms it grinds but every other gear is ok. may be from having a short shifter too though :?

Most of the time when this happens its because the transmission was shifted into second gear to quickly.

Replace the second gear synchro and that will fix your issues.

im having the same problem..its ONLY second gear....but its not all the time...if i drive the car for a while it will start doing it (MOST not all)...but if the car is cold...(sitting over night then driving) it is fine....is this a syncro problem??
By Datsmart
#268461 If second gear is mainly grinding after warm up, the synchro needs to be replaced.
A synchro is like a little clutch that tries to match speeds between the gears. The synchro ring sits on the gear cone, when you shift gears the synchro ring is pushed against the cone. If the cone or synchro ring is worn it can no longer put enough friction between them, the gear teeth will grind because the gears speeds are not matched quickly enough.
In Teal's DIY you can see heat marks on his old gear cones.
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=5469&highlight=
Look at picture 5 of his third post in the above link. "OLD vs. NEW 3rd gear:"
If the cone is too worn, a new synchro may not be all you need to replace. You may need a new cone gear too. Yes, they are not cheap.
By 94EG8
#297013 Since no one seems to have mentioned it yet, poping out of second gear only is typically caused by the lower countershaft bearing walking out of the case. (it'll be sticking up about an 1/8th of an inch. It needs to be tapped in and staked there with a center punch. Less commonly the top countershaft bearing will be worn out enough that it will cause the same issue.

Popping out of 5th is typically a sign of a severe lack of fluid in the transmission.
By omerdragoon
#331024 the same thing happens to me i have sedan im a newbie my engine was originally d13 i switched it to d15b now when i ever i switch to 2nd gear in high rpm it resists automatically but never resists the 3rd gear is it the syncro ? is there some special kind of synchro for high rpm shifting?