General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By rustyrex
#328130 I have a 95 hatch cx. I bought it from the original owner unmolested. Nothing was ever maintained on the car what so ever. He didn't even get a oil change. From what everyone says the cx tranny sucks balls. Today I drove me hatch for the first time, it pulls just as strong and as hard as my A6 swapped crx used to. I swapped in a A6 into the cx hatch but used the original cx tranny. How is it possible that everyone says the cx tranny sucks but this one halls ass for what it is?

Also, how in the hell do I adjust my clutch pedal? The clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is a little more than half way up.
By HeikDiesel
#328131 Long gears. Built for MPG. /thread
By rustyrex
#328133 I'm confused.

I got on it hard. The gears did not seem long to me. I had to go through the gears just as fast as my crx. Could the difference be the motor? I just expected the car to be slow with the long gears and its not.
By rustyrex
#328135 I did only get into 3rd for a brief second. But first and second gears pulled good.
By HeikDiesel
#328136 I dunno what to tell you.
By rustyrex
#328137 Do you know how I can make my clutch pedal engage with the pedal lower?
By HeikDiesel
#328139 Adjust the linkage under the dash.
By rustyrex
#328141 Ok, I will try that tomorrow. I don't like how it engages like half way up. I'm used to my crx. I had it adjusted to where all I had to do was bend my ankle and it started to engage.
By rustyrex
#328150 That doesn't help. But its nice to bookmark. I know its the OEM tranny for my cx. Every seriel number matches. So unless this old guy took the gears out of a different trans and put them into the original housing, this is the OEM one. I have noticed this cx has some options that people say never came on a cx though.
By TrailerTrash
#328159 if he got it brand new from the dealer then he could have ordered it with options you wouldnt normally find on a CX.

drop in an EX/Si tranny into your car and youll realize what we are talking about. night and day.
By rustyrex
#328162 I have been trying for a year to one
By rustyrex
#328201 I went for a drive through my neighborhood just now. I was able to cruice around in 3rd geard and spin like 1500-1700 rpm. I got on it in 2nd gear. Sweet jesus i was able to hold it for like 4 blocks while i floored it before i had to shift. I actually like the long gears right now. I dont know if it will change once i actually am able to drive it.
By suspendedHatch
#328296 If you're happy with it, then keep it. Just understand that shorter gearing means quicker acceleration, and swapping transmissions will increase acceleration more than most mods.

The amount of power an engine puts out has NO EFFECT on what speed you're at a particular RPM.

I read an article that had a rough comparison between change in horsepower and change in gear ratio. Bottom line was that changing the gears was a more effective way to decrease drag times (short of Nitrous or forced induction).
By TrailerTrash
#328297 There was a VX/CX tranny in my coupe when i got it. 95mph in 2nd gear was no problem :twisted: that part was fun but other than that there was no fun factor