General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By rustyrex
#327075 i found a guy on craigslist who say he has a transmission from a 1996 D16Z6 honda civic. will this work in my 95? my motor is a D16A6. also i remember reading somewhere that all of the D series transmissions are labeled the same. is the any way for me to look at the tranny and know for sure what kind of civic it is out of?
By teal_dx
#327086 Sketchy since the 96 civic never came with a d16z6 motor... but yes a d16z6 tranny will bolt up to your a6 block.

codes & specs:
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=20581
By rustyrex
#327090 Thanks for the list. I thought a 96 didn't come with a z6. I'm gonna call him and check it out. I am just nervous that I'm gonna spend money on a different tranny and get stuck with crappy gears. I have my stock cx tranny now and everyone says its good on gas but slow as shit. I want to get a short geared tranny and put my fifth gear in it. That way I have good acceleration and good gas mileage on the highway.
By TrailerTrash
#327095 make sure you check ALL the threaded bolt holes for stripped out threads
By rustyrex
#327105 i told him i am gonna bring anything that i can take off of my trans. the clutch plate, a bunch of bolts, even a old axle stub. i am not trying to get burned at all.
By nd1983
#327115 there should a code on the trans. look for that and compare it with what trans come with the engines
By rustyrex
#327130 That plate was missing. I went and looked at it. I don't know what the hell it came out of but its definetly not a Honda tranny. I brought 2 starters, 2 mounts, 4 axle pieces that go inthe tranny, my brand new clutch and a small box of hardware to try all the holes. The dude gave all kinds of shit about wanting to make sure it was good. The shaft for the clutch was about 1-2 inches too big, the axle holes were about the size of a soft ball, the started hole could be used for a basket ball hoop, and almost every single threaded hole was stripped. I looked at him and laughed. He swore to god it came out of a 1996 Honda civic Si sedan. Wtf? I Damn near beat his ass. I drove a hour and a half to check this thing out.