General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By JDMLYFE
#323249 i recently bought a short shifter off ebay, it was 20 bucks, it just came in the mail and its garbage, same length as my oem one, i got energy suspension shifter bushings as well, i was thinking of just getting a bandm but im not feelin the dual bend AT ALL :thumbdown:

what should i do guys? what other ones are good, its a d15b stock. swapping a d16y soon so getting all this done first
By Leppy
JDMLYFE wrote:i recently bought a short shifter off ebay, it was 20 bucks, it just came in the mail and its garbage, same length as my oem one, i got energy suspension shifter bushings as well, i was thinking of just getting a bandm but im not feelin the dual bend AT ALL :thumbdown:

what should i do guys? what other ones are good, its a d15b stock. swapping a d16y soon so getting all this done first

Same length shaft doesn't always mean it's garbage. There's a major difference between a short shifter, and a short THROW shifter. Look at the mounting points and see if there is a difference there.

I had a B&M short throw shifter in my old Mazda. it was the same height as the stock one, but the throw was reduced greatly.

If I were you, I'd put the bushings in and install it since it's not a hard thing to do, and see how it feels. If you want shorter height shifter, then get something different.

my two cents :)
By brandoff88
#323288 x2 my hurst short shifter, looks about the same but i put it in and it feels wayyyyy better...bushings might need some attention but still good, try it out and i fyou dont like it sell it to a freind or trade it and some cash for a different one :thumb:
By HaydenSI
#323290 If you want a shorter shifter versus a short throw you can take the new one to a machine shop. Get them to remove about an inch or 2 and re thread it. I did this with my old civic and it cost about 30$.
By Apexracing
#323319 I think he is confused with how a short throw shifter works. The bend in a b/m puts the shift lever closer to the transmission thus shortening the throw of the shift from gear to gear.
By JDMLYFE
#323355 i understand how they work, yea im just going to install the one i bought, i also heard a short throw might not be good on a stock d15 tranny becuase its not ment to go into gears that quick
By Apexracing
#323357 A short throw shifter doesnt make the shift faster, it makes it shorter for you. Just dont slam gears and your transmission will be fine.