General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Leppy
#316939 I gotsta question fer ya transmission guru's:

Driving and shifting sub-5k-ish (pre-full vtec engagement) it goes into gear nice and smooth. Doesn't pop out, no abnormal noise or feedback, all that good stuff. However shifting near redline or in the vtec band, It'll start grinding gears. Happens 2nd through 5th, basically all gears. To get it into gear at high RPM's, I basically have to either let it wait till it falls out of the band, or force it which I hate to say I've accidentally done a few times. The clutch catch point is perfect still and there's no vibrations or smells.

I can only guess it's either low or worn out MTF, judging by it's behavior. Does that sound about right? Either way I'm gonna order new Honda MTF and washers and do a full drain/refill. Also, I forgot how many quarts of MTF it takes, can someone remind me or point me to a capacity listing?

OH, yeah... important info: It's a JDM B18C SIR-G motor with an S/Y80 LSD transmission.
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:If fresh MTF fixes that, you'd be lucky. Unless the fluid is really low, It sounds like the syncros are worn.

But all syncros at once? I've had a second gear syncro go out on another car and it didn't feel like this. Last time I did fluid was about 2 1/2 years ago when we put it all in the car, with new OE clutch, and it's done probably a good 30-40k of highway miles plus general abuse (^.^) since then. It rolled on 17's for a year before I got it back.
By Leppy
teal_dx wrote:Oh, didn't know they all just started doing it... I thought it gradually got worse over time. Then try some Honda MTF and see if it helps :thumb:

Thanks. Do you happen to know how many quarts it takes for a drain and refill?
By JohnRM
#316968 ^ I'm sure it's 2.5 qts. I think what people usually do is fill it until it overfills. I usually get 3 qts of Honda MTF. It's 20 bucks for 3 at the dealership.
By Leppy
#317168 Changed my fluid out about an hour ago and took it for a drive. Seems OK so far.

Bad thing (or good thing?) about doing this is in the process of getting under the car, I discovered my pass side axle boot is torn on the hub side and the transmission side boot is leaking too. So that'll need to be replaced soon.