General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By mADmAN
#316408 pls help me confirm its my clutch thats dead...and not my tranny or anything else....i dun wanna end up sending the car to the workshop...just to open it up and see its actually something else

basically i was redlining my car... and at 4th gear 7k RPM... it just went dead... i select any gear... n release the clutch n nothing... its as if its in neutral....

perhaps some of u can gimme ur inputs... when i start the engine..put it in gear and release the clutch...
-1st gear, speedo stays at 0 and its quiet...basically idles like its on neutral
-2nd gear, speedo goes up a lil and its quiet..
-3rd gear, speedo goes up a lil more and makes a very slight noise
-4th gear, speedo goes up a even more and its a lil noisier than 3rd
-5th gear, speedo goes up a even more than 4th and its a lil noisier than 4th

speedo goes up max at about 30km/h.

car is an EG Hatch with B20V and i forgot wat non-LSD hydro tranny (most likely out of a JDM EG6/9)

clutch fluid is still full.

thanks
By Apexracing
#316438 sounds like a busted shift fork.
By teal_dx
#316439 Yeah I don't think that's clutch. You could take the inspection plate off and peek inside for pieces of clutch to be sure.

What happened when it 'just went dead'... engine died? Were you shifting when the problem happened? more details :thumb:
By Apexracing
teal_dx wrote:Yeah I don't think that's clutch. You could take the inspection plate off and peek inside for pieces of clutch to be sure.

What happened when it 'just went dead'... engine died? Were you shifting when the problem happened? more details :thumb:

I'm betting it went pop and he lost all gears. Just a hunch tho
By mADmAN
#316529 no i wasnt shifting... i had my foot off the throttle for a short second as there was a car in front of me..i then noticed that the revs were dropping way too fast (engine didnt go dead) and that "engine braking" feel wasnt there anymore...n when i started flooring again it was just nothing rev just shoots up.. i then shifted into 5th... n again nothing.

so didnt exactly go pop...

and wats a shift fork? does it have anything to do with gear selection?
By Apexracing
mADmAN wrote:no i wasnt shifting... i had my foot off the throttle for a short second as there was a car in front of me..i then noticed that the revs were dropping way too fast (engine didnt go dead) and that "engine braking" feel wasnt there anymore...n when i started flooring again it was just nothing rev just shoots up.. i then shifted into 5th... n again nothing.

so didnt exactly go pop...

and wats a shift fork? does it have anything to do with gear selection?

yea the shift fork is the gear selector in side the transmission, It moves and holds the gears in place.
By mADmAN
Apexracing wrote:yea the shift fork is the gear selector in side the transmission, It moves and holds the gears in place.

then if the shift fork is broken. wouldnt it mean i wont be able to select gears and will not have the symptoms in the first post with each gear?

coz right now, i can select gears fine.
By Apexracing
#316558 Yea its hard to say. If you have positive engagement then i would look at the clutch pressure plate ect. Like teal said drop the cover and have a look
By mADmAN
#316646 dropping the inspection plate is gonna be a lil tough... my hands are made for the keyboard n not the mechanical stuff...hahhahaha

will try to find the time to do it coz i work practically 16 hours a day and have a baby at home.... so yeah

can the plate be removed by using some simple hand tools or do i need an air compressor thingy to do it?

but in the meantime, would still appreciate more feedbacks/speculation etc
By mADmAN
#320118 just thought id update....it wasnt my clutch

spoke to some people as well as some mechanics... n they thought it was my clutch... so since i finally had the money, i bought these....

Exedy Chromoly lightweight flywheel (used)

Brand new OEM Honda Flywheel bearing

Brand new Exedy Stage 2 4 puck clutch

as it turns out... the stock clutch was still in good condition... it was the damn gearbox...stock B16A w/o LSD...centre shaft was shaking....didnt bother opening it up. so dont know what else was wrong with it other than the centre shaft.

so i got me a JDM 96spec DC2 Type R S80 4.4FD gearbox

friggin thing didnt just blow my budget, it nuked it. thankfully i got the gearbox from a mech whos also a good friend..so got it cheap-ish. but the new combo does feel awesome... i FINALLY have LSD w00t!

everything above and inclusive of installation and motul gear oil came up to about US$1.3k

oh yeah...the clutch release bearing was damaged too it seems.. thankfully the S80 came with the bearing.

then i found out one of my tein flex is leaking really bad....just sent the car to get the tein fixed last Wednesday.. should be ready in a couple of days.... sigh.

any tips on running in the clutch? exedy website recommends a 1000km run in.