General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By JDMLYFE
#315094 my shifter linkage is VERY loose. is there a diy to change them and what all do i buy
By Classiccarsrule85
#315120 you mean sloppy?? could be a few things but id suggest a energy suspension polyurethane bushings. can be had for approx 13$ and the linkage can be dropped fairly easily 2 12mm bolts in the rear one up front and the hardest part is the bitch pin 1/4" punch and hammer makes short work of that then slide it around the exhaust pull it out. and replace the bushings which is also a pretty straight forward part as well may need some force but after thats done it usually takes care of alot of the sloppy play that is to be had with the old rubber bushings.
By Apexracing
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:you mean sloppy?? could be a few things but id suggest a energy suspension polyurethane bushings. can be had for approx 13$ and the linkage can be dropped fairly easily 2 12mm bolts in the rear one up front and the hardest part is the bitch pin 1/4" punch and hammer makes short work of that then slide it around the exhaust pull it out. and replace the bushings which is also a pretty straight forward part as well may need some force but after thats done it usually takes care of alot of the sloppy play that is to be had with the old rubber bushings.

You dont even need to remove the pin, just remove the bolts slide the linkage down, Use a 10mm socket to remove the nuts on holding the shifter assembly together and pull the shifter out, perform all of your maintenance, place the shifter back in, bolt it in place. then raise the linkage back up and bolt in place.

Now if your slop is up and down then your shifter base bushing needs replacing. Its a spherical bushing that goes around the ball of the shifter.

If your slop is side to side play check the bushing that goes through the bottom of the shifter, if the o-rings inside have worn there will be play. If the o-rings between the linkage and the lower shifter bushing have worn there will be play. Just get under the car and take a look. The parts are pretty cheap through honda.
By JDMLYFE
#315149 yea its side to side. like if its in reverse, i can move it to where it looks like its in second....
By nd1983
JDMLYFE wrote:yea its side to side. like if its in reverse, i can move it to where it looks like its in second....

its the bushing in the mounting point of the shifter.

there are rubber bushings that go between that and the linkage. those are worn and why you have so bad play. i had the same issue and new bushings fixed it
By bsnizzle
#315172 modified my stock shifter today and its awesome as hell compared to the crappy aluminum short throw shifter. but i too have to get the oem spherical bushing and dust covers for mine, its tight cause of the energy suspension bushing, which i recomend as well and also when you reinstall it throw some grease in your moving parts too keep em smooooooth :D