General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By MookyStick
#314557 Well guys, about a week and a half ago I replaced both CV axles on my 92 LX 5 speed. Last night I noticed that the passenger side axle had a considerable leak(it was throwing oil all over the power steering rack and up the firewall). Well I figured I buggered up the seal or something(even though it looked fine when I inspected it)so today I pulled out the pass side differential seal and took it down to advance auto. I matched it up with their part and it was perfect. I installed the seal by lightly tapping it in with a large socket, making sure not to push it too far(just a tiny bit deeper than flush with the case).

After I got everything back together I filled up the trans and took it for a short test drive. Everything looked fine but I just got back from a 15 minute drive and its definitely still leaking(I can't tell if its quite as bad as before but its still a good size leak). The drivers side is fine, doesn't leak a drop but I don't know what's going on with the passenger side. Is there a possibility that I may have been given the wrong axle? Its just a Napa Reman but it snapped in fine and it drives fine.

I know some will say to only use genuine Honda seals/parts/etc but considering that the original seal looked fine and there is still a leak with the new seal, I'm thinking I can take that out of the equation.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Rob
By MookyStick
#314589 Real quick, this is a thread I posted about excessive stiffness in the outer cv joint on the passenger side axle.

http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t ... bd7bf78146

I even took it back to Napa and they just told me that's how they're supposed to be...even though the drivers side outer joint had a lot more play in it.

Anyways, this has got me paranoid now that it may have caused some sort of damage to my differential. Might there be any validity to this? If so, what the best way to check for a bad differential? Just get under there and try to jiggle the axle up and down?

Thanks again.
By MookyStick
teal_dx wrote:Maybe the axle seal got pushed in just a little too far? Also it is possible to damage them if you didn't slide the axle in perfectly straight.

Well, I know its pretty much flush with the case. It might be like 1mm deep and I really don't think that's enough to cause a leak.

I made sure to careful insert the axle on both installs and it still leaks.

I don't know what more to do. The only thing I can think of is try and trade for a different axle.
By MookyStick
#314844 Well, I got them to give me another reman axle and it seems to have fixed it so far. Only time will tell though.
By Apexracing
MookyStick wrote:Well, I got them to give me another reman axle and it seems to have fixed it so far. Only time will tell though.

Hmm pretty weird must have not been to spec.
By cruzan
#315225 Mine's only leak a bit when i park on a hill
By MookyStick
Apexracing wrote:
Hmm pretty weird must have not been to spec.

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. I think it may have had something to do with the stiffness in the outer joint on the original axle. Even after being on the car for 2 weeks it was still almost impossible to move by hand.