General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By egcivicboy
#314401 so i just swapped out my stock shifter bushings for energy suspension polyurethane bushings, everything feels tighter. My issue is i have A LOT of side to side play while IN GEAR. Its the same as when I'm in neutral. Any help or does anyone know what i need to replace?
By TrailerTrash
#314402 its probably the shift linkage
By EJ1_MK
#314408 And you replaced both bushings for the Poly ones? It could be your linkage or something inside the trans but most play has to do with the two bushings the one on the trans side and the one directly under the shifter. I believe side to side play is the one that is bolted to the chassis by the shifter itself.
By EJ1_MK
egcivicboy wrote:yep replaced both bushings. The two in this DIY

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=4294

Well then you might need to replace the shift linkage. The trans itself will not show side to side play. But you could have friend in the car while you are under it to see where the play is coming from.
By 92civic_vx
#314414 i had the same problem in my sedan, shifter moves side to side in gear just like when in neutral. on the base of the shifter where it bolts to the linkage, there should be a bushing on both sides of the shifter between the fork.. the shifter is sliding side to side on the bolt that connects the shifter to the linkage. green arrow in this pic. Image

honda part number 54105-692-010 :thumb: cost at my local dealer is 3.81/each, need 2
By Apexracing
92civic_vx wrote:i had the same problem in my sedan, shifter moves side to side in gear just like when in neutral. on the base of the shifter where it bolts to the linkage, there should be a bushing on both sides of the shifter between the fork.. the shifter is sliding side to side on the bolt that connects the shifter to the linkage. green arrow in this pic. Image

honda part number 54105-692-010 :thumb: cost at my local dealer is 3.81/each, need 2

Was just going to suggest this, Also make sure the steel insert that goes through the ball of the shifter has its orings as well. Then the rubber orings that go on the outside of the ball to make it sit flush with the fork. Pretty much if there is any play between the ball and the shift linkage you will have play. Throw some rubber orings or rubber washers in there and call it good.