General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By gijoe985
#309424 So, I'm trying to find a way to post a video of this, but being that I am on vacation, my resources are limited.

My 93 VX makes a couple noises of concern. Firstly, not the noise, but she shudders a good bit when you take off from a stop. It seemed to get a bit better after driving her a bit, but still obvious. (I just got this car and it had sat for along time.)

So, when in neutral and parked you can hear a rattle from the tranny. It actually sounds more like something loosly flopping around inside of it. Not too drastic. BUT, when you depress the clutch, the noise goes away. It's hard to tell if the sound is there while driving. I've only done a few test drives and it has minimal interior in it currently, so there is a lot of road noise in general.

Lastly, it seems that after the tranny has wamred up a bit, it starts a high pitched hum. The sound is constant, and THIS sound does not seem to change when the clutch it depressed.

I'm looking at going in thee to replace some parts, but I want to figure out what I should be getting. I had thought throwout bearing and no I am thinking input shaft bearing. I might just buy a whole clutch kit, with flywheel, and get the input shaft too. I also located a full tranny bearing kit for not a whole lot more than the inpt shaft by itself. I've rebuilt trannies before, so it wouldn't be too crazy of a task for me.

Any thoughts?
By EJ1_MK
#309505 The Rattle at idle is your Throw out bearing that presses against the clutch. That is pretty common when there have a lot of miles on them they tend to stick to the pressure plate sometimes and then rattle off and you hear it.

The other noise when your are driving is one of the bearings that is inside the trans. These transmissions are super easy to work on but you might want to ask around and talk to your local shops or people that you know and see if they can rebuild the trans for you. Bearings are cheap and only take about a day to install.

There are guides on the net about how to do this but you might want to have someone that has done it before show you how the first time. I rebuild my own now and friends when they need them done. It might be just as easy for you to find a used good condition trans from someone and then you can work on yours and learn and then have a spare.
By gijoe985
#310539 Hey,

I've been on vacation so I haven't been on in a while.

I did assume that the rattle was the throwout bearing, but someone told me that input shafts could make that noise also.

As for the humming, that is also when the car is parked and not in gear.

And as for working on it, I've rebuilt 3 DSM trannys and 1 3kgt getrag, so I think I'll be fine with this one.

I did see on ebay a full bearing kit for no a ton. I could always get it and just replace them all...
By EJ1_MK
#310564 They are cheap you can get them thru honda for like 100 bucks for all the bearings, and it sounds like the input shaft bearing is going out.
By gijoe985
#310616 Well, I guess I just need to decide if I am going to get a kit to replace all the bearings or just the one.

I bought a clutch kit that came with bearings and a flywheel...