General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By rowdyranger
#307292 i just bought a 1995 honda civic EX automatic 1.6L Vtec. i am new to the honda world and am at a loss for what might be wrong.

drove fine for the first day i had it. woke up yesterday and drove to work, drove fine for a couple miles and it felt like the transmission disengaged and would only rev. stopped the car and turned it back on immediately and it worked fine and shifted correctly for about a block or two and did the same thing again. i turned the engine off and immediately turned it back on again and it worked correctly again. and again felt as though it disengaged after a couple blocks. it did this for the rest of my trip to work.

initially i thought it was the tranny going out and was super pissed. but the more i thought about it i am pretty sure it is electrical or computer related. i ran diagnostics and corrected a engine coolant sensor and vehicle speed sensor. it is not throwing any more codes and is still doing it.

also, it doesnt matter if the car is in motion or not. if i turn the car on and sit in park for about 4 min. it will do the same thing, so its not really a distance thing as it is a time constraint.

is there anything yall can think of that may cause this?

thanks so much
By rowdyranger
#307344 yes, im sorry that was the first thing that i did...

i have been asking around and i keep getting "your filter is clogged" so im leaning towards that but if i do that i might as well rebuild if i have to take out the tranny and open her up anyway.

any other insight?