General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By JohnRM
#305940 Found a y8 transmission for sale near me! I need some honest opinions on how much one would cost before I say yes to pick it up! clean. "This is the one from 96-00 EX models with the steel shift forks and better gearing. Trans is in great shape, no grinding problems or slips."

LMK what you guys think
By d-mon
#305943 gears are the same for 92-00 ex/si trans :roll:
as for the steel/alum shift forks, neither will be an issue if you know how to shift.
good condition (no grinds, pop-outs, solid isb, etc) $200 max.
By JohnRM
#305951 I was quoting the guy, lol. $200 max. Sounds like a good deal!
By d-mon
#305959 $150 would be a really good deal.
S40's usually sell for more $$$ than S20's because they are younger.
By JohnRM
#306018 I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should check before I actually buy it?
By TrailerTrash
JohnRM wrote:I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should check before I actually buy it?

EVERY SINGLE BOLT HOLE YOU CAN SEE!

make sure the threads are not stripped out of any holes or next thing you know you grab a gear and the motor mount bolt gets ripped out and bounces around your engine bay like a pinball :x
By d-mon
#306094 check the isb for excessive play, if there is, lowball because the trans will have to be torn down.
By JohnRM
#306106 The guy's craigslist post was flagged...and he isn't answering any of my text. Damn :(