General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By MatherEgsedan
#305533 Hey guys!! I am having trouble with my auto tranny in my 1.5liter auto tranny. My speedo will be fine for awhile when driving then out of no where my speedo will start tripping out and then stop working. At that time the tranny doesn't want to stay in overdrive or Andy gear really what it does is it keeps down shifting itself. It's irritating bc it does it bad on the freeway. Anyone know anything about this??
By dbrooks
#305549 Also, it sounds like a good time to do a 5 speed swap :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#305560 Honestly I dont have a dam clue about automatic hondas... ive never even driven/ridden in one lol

but as with all autos they require fluid, and if the tranny is acting up thats the first thing to check.
By MatherEgsedan
#305570 I changed the fluid about 3,000 miles ago and put in the required amount if fluid. Checked it today and fluid level is good. Fluid looks good as well.
By teal_dx
#305593 Well the speedo going crazy is the result of a malfunctioning VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is on the transmission. First thing to do is check that out, replace if bad. Maybe the speedo being off is throwing the ecu off, causing the tranny to downshift. (actually the autos in these 92-95 cars might be controlled by a cable off of the throttle body- it's been a while since I had an 92-95 automatic.)
By TrailerTrash
teal_dx wrote:Well the speedo going crazy is the result of a malfunctioning VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is on the transmission. First thing to do is check that out, replace if bad. Maybe the speedo being off is throwing the ecu off, causing the tranny to downshift. (actually the autos in these 92-95 cars might be controlled by a cable off of the throttle body- it's been a while since I had an 92-95 automatic.)

this makes sense to me.

also are you sure you are checking the fluid correctly? car warmed up, level ground, running, in park.