General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By rustyrex
#303845 I have a d16a6 and the Trans from my d15b8. I have tried many times to get them bolted together. How hard should it be? It seems like the teeth on the motor and Trans are not meshing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do it?

EDIT- Can someone please me do this? I have been trying for over a week and I can not get the motors and trans to go together. I can get the splines lined up but I can not get the inpit shaft and pilot nearing lined up. I have tried everything I can think of. I am in mentor. Please.
Last edited by rustyrex on Wed May 09, 2012 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
By teal_dx
#303856 The trans is a bitch to get lined up. The hard part is getting the end of the shaft to go into the pilot bearing hole. The transmission has to be lined up perfectly right to left and top to bottom to go in. Doing it by yourself can be tough.
By rustyrex
#303919 Tell me about it. I have been trying for 2 days. I've broken a breaker bad and 3 torque wrenches and a work bench because I am so pissed. I can not get it to line up. The motor is still hanging from my engine lift so I'm lifting the trans up and down plus the motor keeps moving. I've done everything I can think of and I can not get it lined up.
By TrailerTrash
#303927 sit the motor either on blocks on the floor or sit it on a tire. that way your not standing with the tranny bumpng the motor around. kinda sit them both on the floor level and scoot them together
By rustyrex
#303933 I thought I had it about a hour ago but I noticed only the top was going in not the bottom. I am about ready to say fuck it and sell it. This is driving me crazy. I've had the motor on the floor just using the lift to keep it upright and I still can't get it aligned
By TrailerTrash
#303934 your problem is you cant get the input shaft to line up so the motor and tranny come together right?

like you go to put them together and the input shaft just kinda bumps the motor and pushes it away
By rustyrex
#303941 I can't get the input shaft to line up with the pilot bearing.
By rustyrex
#303993 So I should set the motor on my garage floor and the trans as well? I can try that but I don't have any one to help.
By TrailerTrash
#304007 did you use an alighnment tool to line up the clutch plate? if your bumping it around with the input shaft the clutch plate may have moved and blocked the hole to the pilot bearing...

i think that can happen anyway :? :lol:
By rustyrex
#304011 I didn't change the clutch. The motor has been sitting for like 2 months without and tranny on it. I am afraid the the clutch might have moved. The biggest issue is I am winging everything. I've never done a motor swap before and I'm doing everything completely by myself. I know the pioneers of the Honda industry did it this way. But, I doubt they had a annoying girlfriend barking down there throat every 5 seconds LOL.
By rustyrex
#304357 I figured out the problem. The splines in the center of the clutch got rolled over. So I need a new clutch kit, flywheel and rear main seal. Probably do flywheel and pressure plate bolts too. I'm pretty pissed because I wanted to drive my hatch before I went to jail. But, the clutch is original from 1990 with over 180k and I've beat the crap out of it. .
By ZactheRipper
rustyrex wrote: I'm pretty pissed because I wanted to drive my hatch before I went to jail.

umm...

yeah anyway i may have just been lucky because the last time i did my gearbox it neatly slotted in straight away. I had no idea they could be so difficult.
By gtstripes
#304365 had the same prblem.. it was a PITA, i just had them both on the ground and then wedged them together and wiggled until it all lined up and then bolted it together, took about 1.5hrs
By couch_c
#304372 I wanted to change out my clutch and fly wheel but after hearing this idk I fi want to go through this much stress :thumbdown: