General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By ForneyHatch
#291328 I'm going to buy a used hydro B16 transmission tomorrow. Without opening up the transmission or installing it, how do I judge the transmission's condition? What are some of the things that I need to look out for? If I need to replace a syncro, is it to expensive? Should I just avoid private sellers and stick with JDM importers? Thanks for any input
By TrailerTrash
#291339 check the bottom of the tranny for cracks, check ALL the bolt holes to make sure none of the threads are stripped out. maybe take a few bolts along to test thread them?
By ForneyHatch
#291350 Thanks for that advice. Is there any way to check functionality of tranny without installing it?
By TrailerTrash
#291351 no problem sometimes ya learn the hard way lol :x

if it has the shifter and linkage attatched I guess u can make sure it goes it all the gears and maybe spin the input shaft to make sure it aint locked up... i really dont know the way i see it is even if this stuff checks out its still just hoping the seller aint trying to screw you with a tranny that pops out and stuff :thumbdown:
By blk92hb
ForneyHatch wrote:Thanks for that advice. Is there any way to check functionality of tranny without installing it?

on the inside of the bellhousing look for oil, and take the input shaft and turn it and listen for a small clicking noise. that would let you know if it needs new input bearing.

that bearing is the last to come out and the first in. so if its bad then walk away because it will need to be replace.
By chrono404
#291423 I use a screw driver to make sure i can shift the gears, the shift lever should turn back and forth and got in and out.

when its in gear try to spin the input shaft and make sure the diff is moving. that will mean it mechanically works. Without tearing it apart or installing it you wont know how good the synchros are.

good luck.
By Apexracing
#291427 might help to know the milage that was on it. if it has a vin on it run a carfax for info :)