General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By yashep
#31726 Hey guys!!
I almost never look to my cluster, except on rare occasions when I think I'm running out of fuel lol. But yesterday I notice that I'm 150 miles shy of 200k miles!! No wonder the trans was acting up!!. Here in Puerto Rico people usually buy high millage cars imported from the states, but to have a local car with that kind of millage is the worst thing a driver can have. My engine has 4?k miles but I'm worried bout my tran. 3rd is grinding (If I try to shift past the 3k rpm) and the reverse is grinding more than usually and sometimes doesn't even wants to engage. What do you guys think I should do? :? Don't think I'm gonna find a good trans here, most of them are worthless. I'm hoping you guys could point the right way :thumb: . I'll defenitly start that project in the summer?? because is my dd and i have to get to work. i'll finish the paint on the xmas recess tho.
Thanx guys
By teal_dx
#31728 double clutch into 3rd for the time being, mine grinds too and double clutching keeps it from grinding pretty much every time. You're going to need a re-build... is there places down there that will re-build if you can import the parts that you need? That has to be cheaper than shipping an entire tranny...
By yashep
#31729 That's what i've been doing right now, but my clutch is a lil too stiff and I'm starting to feel it now. the guy that sold me the engine put a ACT clucth on it that's a bitch. There are a couple of shops here that will do the job but are expensive and the down time will be a lil too long for me to wait. About the parts for the rebuild I thought about buying them here (at least most of them) and yes, it's definetly more cheaper to buy what I need than to buy the entire tranny. I've been looking for prices on a couple of honda sites and comparing. let see what happens.
Thanx man for the info :thumb:
By sihatch9508
#31736 you could also try changing the tranny fluid and putting syncromesh in it. ive heard that helps people. as teal_dx said double clutching will help as well but wont make it go away :thumb:
By yashep
#31740 I've been double clutching for some time and it's taking a toll on my ankle (broken two times). and about syncromesh, how much should I buy?
Ever since I got my hatch I've been using Honda's.
By fresh eh2*
sihatch9508 wrote:you could also try changing the tranny fluid and putting syncromesh in it. ive heard that helps people. as teal_dx said double clutching will help as well but wont make it go away :thumb:

ive talked to a few ppl that had gears grinding and changed the trans fluid and the syncromesh and made the grinding go away. you should really try it before you go out and spend a crazy amount of money. :thumb: .....puerto rico huh.....i bet there are some cute girls out there :wink: ......my friend is from Cayey P.R.....i think i may take a trip with him out there someday :D
By yashep
fresh eh2* wrote:ive talked to a few ppl that had gears grinding and changed the trans fluid and the syncromesh and made the grinding go away. you should really try it before you go out and spend a crazy amount of money. :thumb: .....puerto rico huh.....i bet there are some cute girls out there :wink: ......my friend is from Cayey P.R.....i think i may take a trip with him out there someday :D

yea i was looking into it and i think i'll try it i got nothing to lose. and about the girls here are hot, lots of jlo ass here. I know ppl from Cayey you should come i know for sure you'll have a great time.

Get a low mileage JDM tranny.

I could but it's really hard to find a low mileage tranny here and bringing one here from the states it'll be way to much $$ so it's not a good option
By BurqueB16
#31769 its your second to third gear synchro thats blown mine blew out too and it cost me $170 for it and $190 for a new third gear. I bought third gear cause my gear was rounded off but if urs isnt too bad u might not need it. its not too hard to do either, me and two of my friends did it in a couple of hrs.
By sihatch9508
yashep wrote:I've been double clutching for some time and it's taking a toll on my ankle (broken two times). and about syncromesh, how much should I buy?
Ever since I got my hatch I've been using Honda's.

i think its like 2 quarts but im not sure. 3 should cover it and id rather be safe them sorry
By yashep
JDMB16LSD95COUPE wrote:its your second to third gear synchro thats blown mine blew out too and it cost me $170 for it and $190 for a new third gear. I bought third gear cause my gear was rounded off but if urs isnt too bad u might not need it. its not too hard to do either, me and two of my friends did it in a couple of hrs.

yeah that's correct i figure it was my 2 to 3 syncros and I think i'm gonna do the same. i'm still waiting tho cause was reading on a local forum that some guy is selling the full gear set for my tranny and he's calling me today to set the price. I still have my old z6 block laying around and i'm thinking on rebuilding it. Never hurt to have everything new -engine/tranny- :thumb:

sihatch9508

i think its like 2 quarts but im not sure. 3 should cover it and id rather be safe them sorry

Thank you sir, your absolutly right. will it be a problem to overfill tho?
By sihatch9508
yashep wrote:
sihatch9508

i think its like 2 quarts but im not sure. 3 should cover it and id rather be safe then sorry

over filling would be bad over time. you want it just full enough to run out of the fill hole
By yashep
sihatch9508 wrote:
yashep wrote:
sihatch9508

i think its like 2 quarts but im not sure. 3 should cover it and id rather be safe then sorry

over filling would be bad over time. you want it just full enough to run out of the fill hole

thanx man you save my life. I fix it on the weekend it was a long saturday for me doing a tune up to every car in my family (12) I felt like a jiffy lube or something lol. but I manage to fill up my tranny and test it out and is fix, atleast for now. :lol: