General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Ecc0
#278852 Been thinking about this as times are tight and doing lots of motorway miles.

Just wondered if there is a 6 speed box that can be fitted to the B series engine and if so what one and would I need any extras like an adaptor to make them fit
By poorman type-r
#278853 Why not get an ls trans?
By Ecc0
#278867 I've just got one of those just not fitted it yet maybe I should see how I go with that then and take it from there
By EJ1_MK
#278884 6 speed trans have just as short gears as a b16 trans or b18c trans. the ls is a better way to go.
By DontHateonEG8
EJ1_MK wrote:6 speed trans have just as short gears as a b16 trans or b18c trans. the ls is a better way to go.

i dont think there is a 6 spd B series tranny in existence.
never seen one in my life.
By Ecc0
#279093 I didn't think there was a 6 speed box the question is more is it possible to retrofit a 6 speed box to a B series similar to what I've seen some people do with H22 conversions as there is a conversion plate to use a B series box on an H series engine
By bks84
#279109 To answer your question, there is not an OEM option for a 6 speed on a B. Or H...

If the B spun the same direction as a K, then that might be do-able, but they don't.
By DontHateonEG8
bks84 wrote:To answer your question, there is not an OEM option for a 6 speed on a B. Or H...

If the B spun the same direction as a K, then that might be do-able, but they don't.

and J series, but they all spin in different directions

so the final answer is:
you cannot retrofit and make 5 speed into 6 and you cannot run a speed tranny on your b series because the options available cannot be used on your B series.

/thread
By EJ1_MK
DontHateonEG8 wrote:
EJ1_MK wrote:6 speed trans have just as short gears as a b16 trans or b18c trans. the ls is a better way to go.

I was stating that the k20, k24 6 speed trans gear ratios are just as short as b16 and as Bks84 said they spin a different direction.
By d-mon
#279176 as mentioned before, ls fifth or step up to a k-swap
By DontHateonEG8
EJ1_MK wrote:
DontHateonEG8 wrote:

I was stating that the k20, k24 6 speed trans gear ratios are just as short as b16 and as Bks84 said they spin a different direction.

so please relate this to the contents of this thread.
clearly you understand that k20/k24 tranny will not bolt up to the BSeries because of the difference in the rotation of the two - so then why would you bring up the gear ratios? All you are doing is confusing others by making a comparison of the gearing between two different, non-interchangeable "things".
Simple answers go further then long and complicated once. :)