General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Honda4life
#278007 well today im working on my car and i decide to go get gas and im shifting fine until i get to a light. Then the light turns green and i try to shift into 1st and i cant. So i try to shift into another gear and another and i have to muscle it into 3rd and all i smell is burnt clutch.So I just drive my car home and i shut the car of and turn it back on and i have to muscle it into 1st, second, and 3rd gear So my question is, do you think the tranny is done? I looked underneath and i didnt see anything stuck on the shift linkage.
By 92civic_vx
#278012 sounds like a good time for a rebuild.
By TrailerTrash
#278026 somethin aint right... did u try letting the clutch out slightly to get it into gear? I have to do that to mine when shifting into reverse
By Honda4life
#278055 yea so my boy came over and we searched around and we actually took out the tranny fluid and saw some metal shavings. Also i took off the starter to see if i could have a look inside the tranny and everything looked normal. Then my boy and bled the clutch and now for some reason i can somewhat shift into 1,2,&4. Before i could only shift into 3. So im thinking its my clutch at this point. I also checked my fluids.
By Honda4life
#279830 Been to busy to take the tranny apart. I did however find a ek tranny from a cx model for $150 with 130,000 miles on it. So I could get that tranny or buy one from this place here in town that imports tranny's and they have a eg ex tranny with 40,000 miles on it for $350. Im getting more and more people telling me that it sounds like a shattered clutch/pressure plate. What do you guys think? Also which tranny should i pick up?
By teal_dx
#279832 Keep in mind that that CX tranny has the longest gears of any D series tranny (same as the VX).

HX gears are also long. Then DX/LX are long but a little better.

The EX/Si trans will be the best choice for acceleration. The CX tranny will accelerate like a dog compared to the EX, but achieve better highway MPG.
By Honda4life
#279841 yeah i was looking at the gear ratio's for the cx compared to the ex and they have identical gear ratios, but 2rd and 3rd gears are longer
By Honda4life
#279843 so here are the gear ratios for the cx and ex:

cx:
1st-3.250
2nd-1.762
3rd-1.172
4th-0.909
5th-0.702
reverse-3.153
final drive-4.058(coupe/sedan), 3.722(hatch)

Ex:
1st-3.250
2nd-1.909
3rd-1.250
4th-0.909
5th-0.702
reverse-3.153
final drive-4.250[/img]