General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By BurqueB16
#276663 so i am a little limited on funds for the moment and my car has been sitting for sometime now. i have been wanting to rebuild my b16 tranny with new synchros, clutch, and third gear. but so far i only have the clutch so i still need about $700 worth of stuff, and now i find a b18a1 tranny on the cheap ($100).

well now i can't decide if i want to go through the trouble of putting on the b18a1 tranny or continue saving to rebuild the b16a2. :? i am eventually going to go turbo and i know the b18a1's gears are longer so that might be beneficial in the future. but i also was kind of fond of the short gear ratio of the b16 and it has an lsd and i did already buy a new clutch. and to be honest it doesn't look like i will be going turbo anytime soon.

yeah so those are the crossroads i am at, gimme some opinions cus i am stumped :(
By JUICE
#276679 the LS tranny will absolutely kill any "pep" that B16 had... LS trannys on Vtec motors (unless we're talking crazy power turbo) are not a good combination for going fast.. rebuild your B16. at least you know what's wrong with it. plus, a1 LS trannys are cable..
By RWMIII
JUICE wrote:the LS tranny will absolutely kill any "pep" that B16 had... LS trannys on Vtec motors (unless we're talking crazy power turbo) are not a good combination for going fast.. rebuild your B16. at least you know what's wrong with it. plus, a1 LS trannys are cable..

:thumb:
By poorman type-r
#276737 Yeah I built a b20vtec N/A from top to bottom 250+whp with a LS tranny, made it so sluggish :thumbdown:

Threw a b16 tranny on it and it woke up. haha
By BurqueB16
#277644 thanks for the replies guys. yeah i have decided on just rebuilding the b16 tranny since it really wouldn't be worth the effort to put on a different tranny. And hopefully i will be getting some extra money in here soon so that should help. i will keep you guys posted on the progress, if everything works out it should be a fun project. :thumb: