General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By gil
#276527 I´m having problems in changing gear in my eg6 (with B16 A engine), i had to push yery hard in the pedal so they gears run smothly (it wasn´t like this). The clutch master cylinder makes a sliding noise as if the rubber retainers were dry.
I had my clutch changed and i think since then it takes more strengt to make the pedal go down.
I thought the problem was with the master cylinder so i put a new set of retainers, it seemed better at first but now is the same and with that sliding noise.
it`s hard to drive like this because my knee starting to hurt and i fear to damage de gear box.
My mecanic says the gear box as a problem but it is not logical because when i start the car it all goes fine until a while when the sound came and the gears don´nt run so well
could some one help me? i don´nt know what to do. Thanks
By d-mon
#276538 is there fluid in the reservoir?
By gil
#276552 Thanks for the tip.
There´s fluid on the reservoir.
I think is DOT3 fluid or DOT4, i wonder if it will run better whith DOT 5.1.
There are no fluid losses, not in the pedal, not in the master cylinder or the slave cylinder. the level of fluid is oK.
why the pedal is so hard to push?
A friend of me as an equal "eg" and one does´nt have to make the same amaunt of effort.
The clutch i bougth was from honda dealer, the kit came with realease bearing, pressure plate and clutch disk. There was no flywheel bearing in the kit.
is the kit ready for mount or should the mecanic do something with the clutch disk. I´m asking because it shouldn´t be so hard to push the pedal.
I´m going crasy with this problem for abaut 4 months and still afraid of damaging the gear box. so far it seams ok but my knee is getting weaker.
By d-mon
#276559 use only DOT 3 fluid.
if it is hard to push, there may be binding in the T/O bearing or pressure plate. you may have to pull the trans to check/fix.
what did the dealer say?
By gil
#276565 i bougth the complet kit at honda dealer. If the pressure plate, clutch disk, and release bearing are new, why should be a binding?
why is there noise when i push the pedal several times? Because at frist when i start the car there is no noise and it change gears well, after a while specilaly when it´s a hot day (35 C degrees), the master and i think even the slave cylinder started to make that sound.
Could it be air in the system?
I tried to push several time even with the car stoped and after a while it turns harder and the sliding noise apears.
(As the mecanic changed the retainers and springs in the master and slave cylinder the sound started to be worst, the parts were bought at honda dealer)
Even in hot weather as in Portugal is allways better to have DOT3 than DOT4 or DOT5.1 in the system?
By d-mon
#276615 if it was installed incorectly.
some people have put the clutch disk in backwards.
in a honda civic, ALWAYS use dot 3 for the clutch. unless you're driving on the sun.
air in the system would make it softer, not harder.