General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By egcivicboy
#275036 So my transmission is starting to go out 3rds grinding and I need a new shift linkage and all that, I saw the DIY on rebuilding it because of 3rd grinding but I was wondering if it would worth just getting a new transmission? Upgrading maybe? Can you even do that? What transmission can I use, any of them? Or would it be best to just get another d16z6 tranny?

Thanks
By teal_dx
#275055 You can buy a used one for cheaper than the parts to repair yours (assuming you're buying from the dealership) but then you don't know when the used one is going to start having the same problems. Maybe if you knew the owner of the tranny personally and know he took care of his car and could verify it had low miles. :thumb:
By Fada Blayne
#275056 But if you are planning on keeping your single jingle for a while it would be a somewhat good idea to overhaul it now while you have the chance instead of just buying another old one of which u know nothing about.

carbon synchros and all the good stuff and now be considered :thumb:
By egcivicboy
#275067 Teal- I don't know anyone who has a eg civic. I know they're everywhere but I know like 2 ppl with Hondas ones an 06 auto and ones an 89 auto so even if they were selling parts it wouldn't be very helpful.

Fada Blayne - what do you mean by overhaul it?

I think what I'm seeing is that you guys think I should just rebuild it? Yes?
By Eg6H2D
egcivicboy wrote:Teal- I don't know anyone who has a eg civic. I know they're everywhere but I know like 2 ppl with Hondas ones an 06 auto and ones an 89 auto so even if they were selling parts it wouldn't be very helpful.

Fada Blayne - what do you mean by overhaul it? = Re Build it

If you got the funds for a new trans about 600-1400 depending on the options you pick out, yea get a new one.

Give David Henson from Synchrotech a call. Great guy and is very knowledgeable and reputable at his work..

http://www.synchrotech-transmissions.com/
By egcivicboy
EG6b20R wrote:
egcivicboy wrote:Teal- I don't know anyone who has a eg civic. I know they're everywhere but I know like 2 ppl with Hondas ones an 06 auto and ones an 89 auto so even if they were selling parts it wouldn't be very helpful.

If you got the funds for a new trans about 600-1400 depending on the options you pick out, yea get a new one.

Give David Henson from Synchrotech a call. Great guy and is very knowledgeable and reputable at his work..

alright well you say what options i pick.. thats where i'm not really sure. I don't know what options i have. Do i need to stay with a D series tranny? or should i upgrade?
By Eg6H2D
#275329 Depends where you are going with your build. Are you staying D16z6? or moving onto the B series transplnat into your civic?
By Eg6H2D
egcivicboy wrote:
EG6b20R wrote:

alright well you say what options i pick.. thats where i'm not really sure. I don't know what options i have. Do i need to stay with a D series tranny? or should i upgrade?

Let me make it easier for you. lol. for the besxt perfoming of your transmisiion you would want Carbon snchros.. helps the gears not grind and are longer lasting. 2nd you would want a limited Slip diferrential, better traction and more power will be put to the ground..

next would be your final drive. Stock D16z6 has a 4.25 ratio Final drive. Going up on the Number increases acceleration going down from that number gives you slower acceleration. now depending on how much power your wanting to put out from your set up that's when you have to choose the right Final drive ratio, Turbo'd guys usually use a lower Numbered ratio, Like a 4.00 or 3.90 or even a 3.70 just because they will make more use of the power through the gears. they will stay in gear a bit longer .

All motor guys usually use the Higher ratios. 4.25, 4.50, 4.78, 4.90 or even 5.02 also depending on what transmission they are using and what gears are in them.. it's always something you have to sit and think about and make a right choice of..

now if your just wanting a good new trans that doesnt grind, i say get the reman unit ($595) they have in the above address i gave you in the earlier post. No sense buying a $1400 if in a few months your going to swap out the motor you know..

Hope that helps.. :thumb:
By Fada Blayne
#275426 :thumb:
By egcivicboy
#275466 oh thanks thats helpful. As of now i plan on staying with my D. maybe swapping it in a couple years but i don't know yet.

So I should just rebuild it with carbon synchros.
I do plan on going turbo sometime in the future but i'm not sure when.
By Eg6H2D
egcivicboy wrote:oh thanks thats helpful. As of now i plan on staying with my D. maybe swapping it in a couple years but i don't know yet.

So I should just rebuild it with carbon synchros.
I do plan on going turbo sometime in the future but i'm not sure when.

Ok now knowing that just get the reman unit from Synchrotech with LSD and Carbon Synchros im sure he will get you a package deal.. If your going to use the D for more then a year then yes it's beneficial!!! have to get LSD though!! it's a must.. !!!