General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By JGuti23
#272122 Hey people the three holes on my transmission are stripped that the passenger mount bolts to. The guy said he used 1 1/2 coarse theard bolts to hold it together and it worked fine for me too but I want to repair this the proper way. I went to honda and bought the studs and they fell in because the holes were too big. So my next plan is to helicoil the holes but am not sure what kit i sure purchase (size :( ) Thanks In advance
By OmarG
#273990 So wait, you re-tapped the holes after you stripped them to fit the 1 1/2 coarse thread? Or did you just force the 1 1/2 in and cross thread the hole?

When you helicoil a hole, you generally drill the hole oversized by a few thou, then use the tap for your helicoil. once the helicoil is in place, you can use whatever bolt the helicoil was threaded for.

The kit for your helicoil all depends on what thread your original Honda stud uses. You need to find out what the specs are on your stud, and buy the kit for that particular thread. Once you have the kit, pray you didn't blow out the ID of the hole by using the wrong size/thread bolt.

I'm a machinist, so if you want, I can look up the specs for your helicoil stuff, if you just give me the thread specs on your OEM studs.
By OmarG
#273994 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

This is pretty much how you do it. You can tell this guy is more of a mechanic, and not a machinist, because he really didn't use proper shop procedure. Personally, I would have way more careful when tapping, and would not have let the part move around so damn much. Hold the damn thing still. Secondly, if it moves that much, and you have to use that much force, you NEED to be using some form of tapping fluid. WD40, cutting oil, tapping oil, fuck, vegitable oil. anything to keep the tap cutting smooth. Thirdly, KEEP THE TAP STRAIGHT. When he pulls the tap out, you can see him just let it wobble around, and then he finally yanks it out. Thats a good way to wallow out your hole, fuck up the threads, and make them too loose. Just be careful, and take your time. The tap isn't a bolt. It's a cutting tool. take your time pulling it out. This joker just spins it around... pull it out slowly, try not to get any resistance on the way out. Resistance = cutting. Oh, and try to keep the drill as straight as possible. The LAST thing you want is to drill the hole oversized by having the drill wobble on you, or walk out. You want the drill to drill perfectly on size. Hand drill is not really the way to do it, but if that's the only way you have to drill it out, BE CAREFUL!