General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By ForneyHatch
#270982 I bought my EG with a B16A with Integra LS tranny. I want to take it out to open track day events in my area. I'm new to Hondas, so please excuse me for sounding stupid. The LS tranny feels like it has too long gearing for the high reving B16A. What Acura/Honda tranny would I need to match my needs? I definitely need a tranny with shorter gearing and possibly an LSD.
By Tristanw10
#270996 I would try and find the B16a trans, it has the shorter gears and you would notice a huge difference. In turn, you will use up more gas using it as a DD.
By chrono404
#271015 b16 or B18c GSR Tranny are good. The 98+ spec ITR tranny is the shortest geared and most ideal for "Road Corse" races(the kind on a track, not street racing)

As mentioned above the Downside will be a huge difference in fuel economy.

i have a '95 Delsol Si with a 99Spec JDM b20b(same as usdm b20z) with a 99-00 EM1 Si B16 Transmission. Best MPG i have EVER got. 25mpg. Avg 19-21.

On the flip side, There is a person who comes to our local meets with a '93 Sedan with also a 99 spec JDM B20b just like me, however he has a LS Tranmission. He told me he gets 35-40mpg.

Since the Delsol is my Project/Fun car its always driven hard or "enthusiastically" while the person from our meets DD his. So there is a difference there.

If you dont care about Fuel economy a B16 or ITR Tranny is the route to go. Make sure its a hydro transmission as apposed to a Cable.

That all said if you want a fast track car I would use a b18b LS or b20b/b20z instead of a b16. I have had a B16 before and thought it was fast. It wasn't. my B20b with b16 transmission leaves GSR's in the dust. Its all about getting into your Power band and staying there. I had a friend who had a B16 powered Delsol VTEC. My Delsol left his in the dust with me using 3/4 throttle.

After swapping out Trannys, swapping in a B18c, b20, or b18b, or possibly building a b20vtec or a lsvtec engine would be a good idea for the next season.

Edit:
If your not afraid of mod and fabricating parts. then the ultimate track tranny would probally be a CRV AWD 5psd. It has the tallest Final drive next to the 98+ jdm itr tranny, and can send power to All 4 wheels giving you better launches and if tuned correctly could give you a heads up in corning as well.

However this is not for the fate of heart and is not a bolt in swap. not even the shift linkage will work, its quite a swap, however I think its the Best OEM track B Series Transmission. 2nd Place IMO is the 98+ JDM ITR Tranny, You will get the shortest gears and best accerlation, however wont get AWD Grip. and 3rd place is the B16 Transmission, It has short gears, in much more supply then CRV 5spds and 98+ JDM ITR Trannys and can make your car fast. However it will be hard to get one in good shape. Most of them have been beat and raped on. Which is probally why you have an LS transmission in your car to start out with.
By ForneyHatch
#271079 thanks for the input. I plan on using my EG strickly as a second car. I got my BMW to get me to work. Fuel economy is not important to me. Does the B16 tranny have LSD? I know the ITR tranny has LSD.
By chrono404
#271092 SOME b16 Transmissions have a OEM LSD. However most do not. If I was you and looking for one I would import a Transmission from japan using an importer such as hmotorsonline. I would avoid Craigslist or ebay like the plague.
By forcefedEG
chrono404 wrote:SOME b16 Transmissions have a OEM LSD. However most do not. If I was you and looking for one I would import a Transmission from japan using an importer such as hmotorsonline. I would avoid Craigslist or ebay like the plague.

X2 I really hate buying a used trans you cannot drive first. Is be cautious
By bks84
#271556 Definitely B16 or ITR (if funds allow). I had a GSR w/LSD on my B16 when I first swapped it into my Coupe and OMG it sucked. I switched to a B16 w/OBX LSD and the "butt" dyno definitely approves.
By OhShft!
#271585 Gsr or itr and ls if your boosted cuzz it has longer gears!
By ForneyHatch
#271659 Besides online JDM importers, does anyone know a place in the Dallas Metroplex to get an ITR tranny?
By bks84
#271720 Acura Dealership.