General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By OmarG
#270946 I have a 1998+ spec JDM ITR transmission. My car always pops out of fifth gear when going up hill, or when I start to accelerate. I can hold it in gear successfully, but using a lot of pressure. And it feels like its only partially in gear. When I hit a bump, or let off the gas coming down hill, the shifter falls nicely into it's normal position, just to be slowly pushed back outwards. My front mounts were completely toast, as in, the center of the bushing just fell out. I replaced them with hasport's two days ago. Gear selection felt way more precise aftwerwards, but fifth still pops out. After driving about ten miles, it pops out of gear a few time in a row, until my actual axle pops out. I pull over, popped it back in, and made it home. On my way to work the next morning, it popped out after about 5 miles of driving. Popped it back in, made it home, and haven't driven it since. And it does it in 3rd gear too, just not so often. Never in 2nd, or 4th. I usually just drive in 4th, which, with a type-r swap, ain't cheep.

I know my passenger side tie rod was busted to shit, but now, after seeing a bunch of oil coming from the steering rack I think it's gone too. Also, I'm lowered to about an inch and a half off the ground. Any one have ANY ideas? What's causing this shit? I thought the mounts would have fixed it for sure.
By breez
#270963 The damage was most likely done already from not having the mounts and synchro for 5th is probably toast {maybe} . I hope you are not using a short shifter unless its oem {del sol gsr }
If you are mechanically inclined your best bet would be pull the tranny, krack it open and inspect bearings synchros shifter fork etc . Hope this helps
By OmarG
#270965 Nope, stock Type R dual bend, with the titanium shift linkage. I'm inclined, but not THAT inclined. lol 5th gear would OCCASIONALLY grind going in at RPMs over 6000.
By breez
#270973 That's good lol :thumb:

The synchro most likely needs replaced I'm not a tranny expert by any means but have rebuilt a couple .

If your up for it give it a shot with a nice write up you can do it :thumb: because your definitely gonna keep having problems until its fixed .

What kind of oil are you using ?
By OmarG
#270976 Napa special. 10w-30 I think. Mobile 1 full synthetic in the motor.
By breez
#270980 koo koo yea get it rebuilt have a friend help you bro atleast take it off before things get worse or stay out of 5th til you find a replacement etc .
By OmarG
By ImThaBean
#270992 Before you go and rebuild the trans, double check the fluid level in the trans. Mine did that and it was just low to where there wasn't enough fluid to aid in the shifting into 5th.
By OmarG
#270993 I'll do that first thing tomorrow when I swap axles and install my new tie-rods and steering rack. Hope it helps.

Also, speaking of axles, my passanger side keeps braking within a few days. Is it because I'm slammed, have screwed tie-rods, blown KYB AGX's and HAD bad mounts?

I know slammed cars have a problem with axles, would Hasport stage 1 or Driveshaft Shop axles fix it?
By breez
#271006 True your fluid could be extra low since your axle popped out a few times .. check that first then go from there :thumb:

If anyone else could chime in just in case you dont have to crack the casing open .
By chrono404
#271009 Looking over everything, You will want to replace 3rd and 5th gear synchros and swap the Counter shaft side 5th Gear out with a new one.

Lucky for you GSR 5th is the same gear as the 98 spec jdm itr 5th gear.

I would buy all the parts from OEM Honda at http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/, Its where I get all my OEM Honda parts at. You could also go to your Local honda dealer. If I'm going into a Transmission with all the money and downtime it will take, I will only use OEM honda parts.

The sycnhros and 5th gear from a GSR Integra are what you want.

The reason its kicking out of gear is the dog teeth that are grabbed by the collar are being pushing the collar out which kicks it out of gear. Its explained in more detail in the Diagnosis thread here.

Good Luck. :thumb:
By OmarG
#271173 Turns out, I had no fluid in the tranny... It wasn't the stupid rack leaking, it was the transmission... the flange on the VSS broke off and it lost fluid through it. I put in a new axle and put 2 quarts or so in the tranny. Seems to work alright now. It still grinds in high RPMs going into fifth. Meh. The axles always seem to have ground down splines right after the little retention clip thingy. Inside the tranny where the axle pops in, it had shavings. I cleaned it out good, and inspected the splines. Looks good to me...