General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By civic15
#257287 Hi i have a b18c5 trany and the couter shaft gears are damage also the differential gears are broken.. so i was thinkin of takking a b18b countershaft and a b18b differential gear would it work?? ( i would stay with the b18c5 gear juste getting the gears off the b18c5 countershaft and putting it on the b18b coutershaft)

By That One Dude
#257330 That wouldn't work. The differential in the B18B transmission is significantly smaller than that of the B18C5 transmission. Therefore the B18B ring gear wouldn't fit on the B18C5 differential, and the B18B differential wouldn't mesh with the countershaft when assembled if you tried that route.

Least expensive option is to get a new C5 gear set and ring gear. It's not going to be cheap by any means. Hell, you might even be better off just finding another C5 transmission on Craigslist, to be completely honest...
By forcefedEG
#257515 If you use the ls countershaft, ring gear, and diff it will work I've done it, you will need to remove the bearing races from your case if your diff has tapered bearings if its sealed bearings you will have to check the shimming in the case for the bearing pre load, I used a b16 LSD (aftermarket) and b16 countershaft and ring gear in my gsr trans, its the same theory it can be done and will work. And the ls final drive will still rip good with the type r gear set

But as far as mixing and matching countershaft and ring gears , its not recommended but if you have to make sure the "tick" marks on the gear teeth are the same and then you need to use a buffer wheel and go over the gear surfaces, personally its more work than its worth you really should just get a matched set and you can't use a countershaft from a big ring gear with a small ring gear or vise versa , but.I hope this helps, :thumb:
By That One Dude
#257523 I tried to put an LS diff and countershaft into a GSR transmission (after removing the tapered races), and the ring gear was nearly 3/8" away from the countershaft. I might have done something wrong, but in my experience the ring gear just won't mesh with the countershaft. No only is the GSR differential housing bigger than the LS/B16 unit, but I'm pretty sure the ring gear is also bigger in the GSR/ITR trans.
By forcefedEG
#257604 Yea honestly I'm not sure what would have caused it not to work, I've done.this trick twice, a friend had a type r trans with a wiped out LSD and no money. So another friend and I took a ls ring gear, countershaft, and open diff and make the.trans use able agin, if fit good and worked good no grinding or winning. But you cannot use.the gsr or itr ring gear with the ls counter shaft because.the teeth won't.mesh right. And for my own experience I just recently took a gsr.and si trans and took the two.to make one, I already had.the LSD for.the si trans I wanted to install but I changed my.mind for my gearing so I used the gsr.gear.set and the si ring gear and countershaft and put.it.together.with crbon syncro and its.the quietest and smoothest trans I've ever.had no humming or anything

And a comment for.the original poster I have a spare gsr countershaft and ring gear and a diff if you need it ? Id take 175 for.the ring gear and countershaft shipped and if you need.the diff we can work out a price for.that too ? Pm me if your interested
By That One Dude
#257616 I stand corrected.
By civic15
#261284 Ok thanks everyone .. so if i understand good it should work correctly i'll try it and let you guys news thanks for the help :thumb: