General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 603 jdm
#255799 what does it mean when i hav to let the clutchout a lil for reverse to fully engage? i just noticed when i had to pull my coupe outta the garage.
By Ajax1989
#255839 that u have a manua shiftedl car :D

naw, but try puttin it into 1st then into 2nd then into reverse
sometime i have to do that
By 603 jdm
#255936 haha ik it happens on alot of standards. the clutch feels amazing in the car though. im ordering the ES shifter bushings this weekend. i gotta put the rubber pedal covers on or do the grip tape diy. also do u know if its possible to clean the vss? or see if its a bad connection? because it works when it wants to. well it did when i first got it i havent really driven her on the road yet since i bought her.
By TrailerTrash
#255982 i have th esame problem with my car... with this tranny and the previous tranny. it will also grind 9 times out of 10 when going into reverse. i just live with it
By forcefedEG
#255987 Most transmissions do.that normally, I've seen a lot of them that you gota put.in first and then reverse.....
By Datsmart
#256014 If your car is idling in neutral your transmissions inputshaft will be spinning. When you then put in the clutch and go directly into reverse, it will grind because the countershaft is not turning and reverse is a non-synchroed gear.
Temporarily shifting into any of the forward sychroed gears will stop the inputshaft from turning, matching it to the stationary countershaft. You can then put it into reverse without any grinding.
By chrono404
Datsmart wrote:If your car is idling in neutral your transmissions inputshaft will be spinning. When you then put in the clutch and go directly into reverse, it will grind because the countershaft is not turning and reverse is a non-synchroed gear.
Temporarily shifting into any of the forward sychroed gears will stop the inputshaft from turning, matching it to the stationary countershaft. You can then put it into reverse without any grinding.

x2

Its perfectly normal. if your your tranny into first or second then you can put it into reverse with no problem. Its just how the gearing inside your transmission works.
By 603 jdm
#256077 thank ya guys, ill try that today. these must be the easiest manuals to drive. mine seems kinda tourqie. also was wondering if the shifter bushing kit from e.s. would be the only thing that i should get if my shifter is ridiculously wobbly? its very annoying and its a paint to tell if its even in gear or neutral. the bushings are bad i checked them.