General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Robbys89
#251954 B16A Y21 NON lsd, XTD Stage 3 Clutch (in over a year now)

As the title say's I'm getting an odd loudish Juddering noise from the bay (low down passo side) at take off, This sound only happens when the car begin's to move, it started off as a short squeak sound like a loose fan belt but its not the belts now the video's can do the talking, sound quility ante the best but you will hear loud and clear this noise I'm talking about as the car begins to mount the brick its driving up on (louder when under more load)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyU5dViB_K0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLS_8HosDDc

Iv had people listen from outside and they all say its coming more from the passenger side low down, I'm guessing its either the Half shaft bearing, Diff or the clutch plate against the flywheel.

While the car is moving there is no noise what so ever only on easy take off's, clutch is not slipping, all bushing's up front where replaced after this sound began with energy suspension bushings, its not the belts nor the cv joints or engine mounts. When in the car it sounds more center in the bay but as said, people who have listened from the outside all say passenger side.

Hoping someone has heard this before and know's what it is my number 1 guess is half shaft bearing but id imaging it would constantly make noise if it was fucked, But may only do it under heavy load such as take off or driving up onto a brick/curb etc..

by the way this is on a RIGHT hand drive ej1, and its not clutch judder, car takes off smoothly with no vibrations etc..
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#293433 BUMP

im doing some research for my car...mine makes the same noise..but it also makes the noise while driving some times...it just started last night...to me it sounds like the throwout bearing (release bearing)
By EJ1_MK
#293448 Does it jerk at all when you take off? does it also do this in reverse? My guess would be that you have a bearing or possible a synchro that is not messing well when you release the clutch. Does this sound continue thru any other gears?

Oh and there is a ton of ticking coming from your engine sounds like you might need to do a valve lash adjustment.
By Robbys89
#293504 Whats up guys,

Well i can say i sorted this problem yet im still unknowing to the actual cause!

A while after posting this thread i was on the motorway and my flywheel bolts came loose! so with that a new clutch kit was got and since then i havent experienced this sound!

Although i don't suspect the release bearing as i checked it and it still seems pritty solid nore was it any gearbox internal parts as i never split it! just changed clutch kit.

My guess is that it was just the noise of the harsh disc (6 puk stage 3) meeting the flywheel. i now have a solid stage 2 which so far is very good and makes no noise. Apperently one or two other people experienced this sound with an aggresive clutch on a DD.

And i know dude since then a valve lash has been done! still kinda tappy though engine has near 300k now! but runs string not a heavy oil burner or smokey :)