General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By LaosToaster
#240796 i needa remove my pass. axle to replace my torn boot, its shooting grease everywhere, but i think the joint is still good and not damaged( no clicking or whatever) and i dont wanna have to drain the trans. fluids. i was wonder could i just jack up the car on one side very high to get a good enough angle and pull my axles off so the transmission fluids wont spill all over. would this be possible?? :?
By LaosToaster
#240803 damn it lol. i just want to remove the boot without removing my axle, i cant afford tranny fluids thats why, u think thats possible??
By jayEGR
#241002 just have a clean container drain it out and refill it with the same tr. fluid thats what i did with my and added one more qrt. of honda trans. fluid :thumb: :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#241003 just get a 2qt of motor oil and drain it replace the axle then refill the trans

manual trannies dont NEED gear oil, reg motor oil works just fine
:thumb:
By LaosToaster
#241006 well so i said fuck it with the boot, and i whipped out my credit card and bought a brand new axle :D . now are there any special procedure into removing the axle??

i think i needa buy some snap ring pliers for the shaft??
a step by step or a link would be appreciated. i have inspection this sunday and i dont kno if riding with a torn boot will fail me. i dont like the grease shooting everywhere, but no clicking noise yet.

ooh yea and my damn axle nut is a bitch :x . i put over 300lb of torque. :( and i got no impact or breaker bar.

i only have a torch and the 32mm axle socket and a wrench and my foot to kick on the wrench, no WD40, or PB blast. im running out of ideas..
By Ajax1989
#241009 borrow a breaker bar and a cheater pipe, put the car on the ground when braking the nut lose

and the axle just pops out, put a flat head between the axel and the tranny and pry on it and pull on it and it comes out
By LaosToaster
#241014 Yea ii got it on the ground using my jack stands as my wheel chocks, but the car still wants to move a bit, the wheel actually rotates too when on the ground with chocks on it giiving an ass load of torque. I wish I can try the breaker bar.

I did some research and they said to torch it til really hot, then throw ice water on it. Repeat a couple of times.

If all else fails imma just go to a shop and let them knock it out, I got one of those one day pass to drive my car thats unregistered& no license plate on. 8) to go to an inspection station, I hope I pass.