General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By tbomber266k
#225543 okay..so i knew this has probably been asked many of many of times..i already ruled out why my 5th gear keeps popping out on the freeway...bad synchro..okay...so the question is..before this all started happening....when i would shift from 1st thru 4th...around..maybe...3-4k rpm..it started off as a slight..little...grinding sound..and then it grew louder as the rpms went up..and then!!! recently..on 4th gear it sounds like an electrical buzzing sound...like a super charger or something Lol....and then...5th gear just popps outta place..what would be the best solution?? new tranny? rebuild? hhmm...i cant take it to a shop..cuz im affraid they'll turn me in..my stupid homegirl that gave it to me..gave it to me with no sticker vin number or anything...its a b16 tranny idk if its cable or hydro either..hhmm.
By teal_dx
#225544 Sounds like you're in need of a rebuild. Look at your firewall to the left of the brake booster. If you see a master cylinder there then you have a hydro tranny (most likely this is what you have in your car)

So you're pretty sure it's stolen since you're worried about taking it to a shop for the popping out of gear?? karma has its ways :hehe:
By tbomber266k
teal_dx wrote:Sounds like you're in need of a rebuild. Look at your firewall to the left of the brake booster. If you see a master cylinder there then you have a hydro tranny (most likely this is what you have in your car)

So you're pretty sure it's stolen since you're worried about taking it to a shop for the popping out of gear?? karma has its ways :hehe:
im not sure if its stolen or not..one could never tell... :cry: i dont support theft myself...but i could also be wrong :? ..just been pulled over..and the cop pointed that out to me..he was actually gonna impound my car have it crushed...and arrest me for felony since there was no vin on the tranny which i wouldve never known if he hadnt said anything. instead he cut me loose and said get this taken care of with state ref. and so on. yeah karmas a bitch. but thanks for the info ill check to see if i got that.
By tbomber266k
#225559 how much do you think it a rebuild would cost.? estimated around?
By Eg6H2D
teal_dx wrote:Sounds like you're in need of a rebuild. Look at your firewall to the left of the brake booster. If you see a master cylinder there then you have a hydro tranny (most likely this is what you have in your car)

:thumb:
By teal_dx
#225683 I'm not sure of the cost, I've only done them myself. OEM Parts alone (3 gear sets & synchros & bearings) were a few hundred bucks. So for a shop, I'd say 500 to 1000 bucks? maybe more if they pull the tranny out of your car.

Check the DIY list, it's simple to replace the parts yourself. Or the easiest would be to buy another tranny.
By d-mon
#225698 you're in luck!!
this is your opportunity to get a legit trans, probably cheaper than rebuilding a broken one.
if its in an eg chassis, it's most likely hydro.
more trouble than its worth to put a cable trans in an eg.

nice to see someone that else likes PBR :thumb:
By tbomber266k
d-mon wrote:nice to see someone that else likes PBR :thumb:
professional bull riding? :? lol
By d-mon
tbomber266k wrote:
d-mon wrote:nice to see someone that else likes PBR :thumb:
professional bull riding? :? lol

the b33r in teal's sig. :)
[Image