General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By OmarG
#221372 yesterday on the way to work, I decided to check out my 0-60 time out on the back road, When I went to shift into 2nd gear, I shifted, hit the gas, and the motor just revved, as if it were in neutral. I put in third, fourth, fifth, all of them. It just revs up. I thought the shift linkage came unbolted or something, but when I look under the car. all I see is tranny fluid, and what appears to be a VERY loose passenger side axle where the rubber boot meets near the tranny.

Would a broke axle cause me not to be able to shift? Is my transmission fucked?
By wnos100shot
#221380 Sounds like the Clutch could be done, rear main seal could of took a crap, broken axle, or the worst.. tranny is gone! I always like to hope it's the cheapest problem. 1st I'd check the axles, 2nd pull the tranny out and check the clutch/rear main seal. Hopfully it's only one of those. Good luck!
By OmarG
#221689 Stupid question. I know theoretically HOW to put a new axle in, but if it just popped out, how easy is it to just "pop" back in? Would I have to act like I was re-installing it?

Also, if it broke or popped out, would that cause my shifts to just rev, and would tranny fluid come out? Sorry I'm such a noob at this. I learn as I go with these types of things.
By chrono404
#221716 its easy to put one back in, just lift the car, undo the suspension, then push the axle back into place.

Assuming its not broken.

I did a Swap ages ago when i pluged everything in it did just as you said, wouldn't move at all, engine would just rev. i was pissed, thought my swap was bad. the next day I came back to remove it and noticed a big pile of oil, then saw the axle wasn't in all the way, put the axle back in, put in more tranny fluid, lowered the car back to the ground and it was fine.
By elrompetoto
OmarG wrote:Stupid question. I know theoretically HOW to put a new axle in, but if it just popped out, how easy is it to just "pop" back in? Would I have to act like I was re-installing it?

Also, if it broke or popped out, would that cause my shifts to just rev, and would tranny fluid come out? Sorry I'm such a noob at this. I learn as I go with these types of things.
yes and yes ok lift the car take the tire off grab a 2by4 or somthing with out a sharp edge and hit the cv joint in. like right on the boot the one closes 2 the tranny make sure u dont cut the boot when u hit it in. and this cv joint pop out thing has happend 2 me like 6 times usaly u dont pop it in right so it pops back out
By OmarG
#222003 Alright guys, Update.

We got a tow strap and towed the car 15 miles on a hilly ass backroad back to my place. While I was being drug, I turned the car on occasionally so I could brake easier. It was weird. It turned on, and it sounded normal for a few seconds, then, it made a funny scraping noise from the tranny, like a REALLY fucked throwout bearing. it was quiet though. is that normal for a popped out axle? or is it because I have no fluid in the tranny?

To be specific, The car was in neutral the whole time, and It made the noise even if the clutch was pressed or not.
By Datsmart
#222005 Towing a car with the axle popped out is not a good idea.
The noise you heard was the axle splines grinding on the differential. Hope it didn't do too much damage. Depending on how much damage occurred
, you make not be able to push the axle back into the differential.
Last edited by Datsmart on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chrono404
OmarG wrote:Alright guys, Update.

We got a tow strap and towed the car 15 miles on a hilly ass backroad back to my place. While I was being drug, I turned the car on occasionally so I could brake easier. It was weird. It turned on, and it sounded normal for a few seconds, then, it made a funny scraping noise from the tranny, like a REALLY fucked throwout bearing. it was quiet though. is that normal for a popped out axle? or is it because I have no fluid in the tranny?

To be specific, The car was in neutral the whole time, and It made the noise even if the clutch was pressed or not.

you might have warn bearings out by having them spinning with no fluid.

part of the tranny moves in neutral. Your main input shaft bearing might be dead. For future reference when towing a car and you have no tranny fluid have the clutch in the whole time. You can use a brick if you like.
By Datsmart
#222014 Actually, when towing a manual transmission car with the drive wheels on the ground, and at least one axle working, the transmission will turn.
The clutch will disengage the engine, but the transmission will still spin.

Best to have the drive wheels lifted or cradled when towing. Especially if you are low on lubricant.
By OmarG
#222024 Well SHIT. I hope it's not completely fucked.
By chrono404
Datsmart wrote:Actually, when towing a manual transmission car with the drive wheels on the ground, and at least one axle working, the transmission will turn.
The clutch will disengage the engine, but the transmission will still spin.

Best to have the drive wheels lifted or cradled when towing. Especially if you are low on lubricant.

x2

This is Correct, pushing in the clutch wouldn't change anything.

if you heard noises like a bad through out bearing(or any bearing in that case) chances are you have bearing damage from not enough lubrication. put in your axle and put in Good tranny fluid, Either Pennzoil Synchromesh(not the GM stuff, the Pennzoil bottom) or Honda Manual Tranny Fluid. See how it drives and if you have any grinding/bad bearing noises.