General tranny info covering all models & motors.

should i do a 5spd swap to my sedan

100%
N/A
By Classiccarsrule85
#220772 So as i am replaceing my current engine in my '93 auto 4dr lx I am wondering if itd be worth converting to 5spd in the past i have collected a fair amount of parts for a swap like this and would only need a few more items however i am not sure if itd be worth it according to kbb the auto is worth more but to me 5spds seem to bring the most money....

I wouldnt be doing this half assed either id pretty much be redoing the mount on teh frame to 5spd and other things like that ......ive been doing alot of research and i know i can do it its just im wondering if itd even be worth attempting......and well id like some input and to see if its really worth the trouble i also think itd probaly be better for winter to be able to control the car a bit more with it being 5spd....
By chrono404
#220780 Depends on multiple things. Where you live is a huge one. If your in a town/city then no. As having an automatic makes for more convent trips into town. Also as it will be not much more then a winter/extra car it really isn't worth the effort to swap it over to a 5 speed. In town/city driving you wont really see the benefits of performance or economy over an automatic.

If you live in the country/out of town it would make more since as you would have longer cruises which you would gain better economy in the 5 speed. Even then you would have to do TONS of driving to make up for the difference in fuel economy that you would save.

For just a Basic Wintercar/extra car/back up car it isn't really worth the effort to convert to stick imo. Plus if your hurting or have a Injury thats pain comes and goes with weather conditions(Such as Broken Bones). having access to an auto is a nice luxury. I personally like the option of having options.
By familyEGuy23
#221105 Do it!! :woot:
Lol I'm also slowly gathering up parts for the 5spd conversion I have a 94 auto 4dr Lx a lot of people say its worth it and others say just buy another manual car :? Idk its more of a personal thing I guess I would think its a lot of work I've never done it before
Ps. If you do it can you make a DIY? :thumb: