General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 92civic_vx
#202388 my 92 lx, 250k miles. trans just started making a growling/knocking sound over the past few days. i notice it most at idle in neutral and above 3k in any gear. when i press the clutch in the noise stops at idle but continues growling/knocking if im driving even with clutch in.. i think it is a bearing but not sure which one. can any1 help?
By teal_dx
#202401 the noise that goes away when you press the clutch in sounds like the release bearing for sure. It's only about $20 and you can replace it w/o splitting the tranny in half. (it's next to the clutch)
By 92civic_vx
#202406 would the release bearing go bad in 7500 miles? i replaced the clutch kit about a year ago. i installed a sachs KF702-03 kit.
By chrono404
#202414 Pretty sure its the main input shaft bearing.

When you push the clutch in, it dis-engages the transmission, causing the bearing to stop spinning. if dis-engaged at higher speeds you would have to wait for the transmission to slow down

When throw out bearings go out, they make noise when the clutch is pushed in.
By 92civic_vx
#202418 do you mean the ball bearing on the top of the main shaft as in this pic?

By chrono404
#202424 i mean the bearing thats in the transmission case the main shaft goes into.

The one on the right missing ball bearings.
By 92civic_vx
#202523 so my coices are either crack open my first ever trans and replace the bearing or get another trans.. it would be cheaper to fix it i think, but less time to just swap out the trans, as it is my DD and need it back on the road..
By Torch_Ind
92civiclx wrote:so my coices are either crack open my first ever trans and replace the bearing or get another trans.. it would be cheaper to fix it i think, but less time to just swap out the trans, as it is my DD and need it back on the road..

I swapped my g/f's trans in her ek for a used jdm trans costed me 300$. and i priced out a bearing kit wasn't much cheaper. and the used trans had half the miles on it.
By 92civic_vx
#202557 i found a used trans with 160k for $80
By Torch_Ind
92civiclx wrote:i found a used trans with 160k for $80

:thumb:
By 92civic_vx
#202915 ok i put a differnt trans in today and i am stuck on getting the axle to go in. any ideas on how to get it in? and i was gonna run with syncromesh fluid, if i do, do i use just that, mix it or just use 10w40 instead?