General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By {ikon}EM1
#198087 How much synchromesh do I need for my si b16 tranny? I asked a guy @ advanced auto parts and he didn't have a clue... and also which brand name is best? I'm thinking of penzoil...
By dbrooks
#198117 Penzoil FTW! haha I'd get two of the bottles to stay safe. I was reading last night and I think a b16 tranny will take about 1.9 quarts. A least I think it comes in quarts. Haha
By JUICE
#198119 ya, they suppposedly take 2.2-2.4 quarts.. I could only get my GSR to take 2

and yes get the pennzoil, they make it for GM and what not...
By chilango41
#198143 Why is this in the d series? lol
By That One Dude
#198190 The Honda maual transmissions have an internal pump that is designed to use low viscosity oil, which is the reason why Honda MTF is roughly the same viscosity as 10w30 engine oil.

Synchromesh is significantly thicker than MTF and engine oil, which is why it "cures the grind." It leaves a thicker coat of oil on the gears. Most people would say this is a good thing, right? Well, you have to remember, the pump is designed to use engine oil/MTF. The gears are also set at a closer tolerance than the GM gears (transmissions for which the Synchromesh was designed for), so you're not really doing any good for the Honda transmission you're putting it in.

If you want to nit pick, you'd probably lose a few WHP due to extra drivetrain losses from the thicker oil in the transmission.
By chrono404
#198196 I Personally run Pennzoil synchromesh. My 99 si b16 transmission shifts perfectly and I want to keep it that way. My Transmission took 1.9 quarts.

On every B and D Series Manual transmission I have had open, I have never seen a internal pump. I figured they used the gears spinning in the oil to lubricate everything.

Also moving the topic to the transmission section as how much transmission fluid a 99-00 si B16 transmission has nothing to do with D Series.